Passport validity

Oct1202

Registered Users (C)
Hi all..

My PP is valid till March 2003, and my GC was approved last week. I am expecting my approval notoce anytime.

Question: Stamping GC in ,my passport that expires in 5 months would create any problem later??

6 months validity required

Usually they look for a passport valid for 6 months or more.
Better get the passport renewed before you go for stamping.
It will take 2-3 days if you go in person for PP renewal.

Danny

passport renewal should be done the next day. I would also suggest you renew the passport before going for the stamping.

RD:09/07/01
ND:11/09/01
FP:02/13/01
EAD:Renewed-->11/25/03
AP:Waiting...
Citizen:India

I'm in the similar situation my passport is expiring
16th.March 2003 and i'm waiting for my approval(god knows when). I've not rewed my passport, which is valid for less than six months.

Question1: Is it ok to renew the old passport before 485 approval or do you guys see any problem in that??. Also will i be getting the same old passport after renewal or alltogether new one??.

Question2: How long does it take to renew and what documents i might need.

Question3: Is it really safe to renew the passport before the approval and stamp on new passport.?? Is it technically/Legaly ok to do so.??

Pl. Answer these if someone know..??

sainI, where do you live? I had my passport renewed from New York CGI. It hardly takes about a week to 10 days. I had mailed it in. If you visit the website you should find all the instructions and the forms for renewing your passport. You do get back your old passport. It might be a good idea to get your passport renewed before doing the GC stamping. Best of Luck!!

Oct1202 & sainI

--Question1: Is it ok to renew the old passport before 485 approval or do you guys see any problem in that??. Also will i be getting the same old passport after renewal or alltogether new one??.--

Yes Ok to renew, no problems, Depending on the Passport, if it is a Final Expiry, you will get a new Passport, if not then you will get the same Passport.

--Question2: How long does it take to renew and what documents i might need. --

NY Personal Submission, is Renewed same day, Documents, check their web site.

--Question3: Is it really safe to renew the passport before the approval and stamp on new passport.?? Is it technically/Legaly ok to do so.??--

Yes it is not only safe but adviseable, and yes it definately is Legal.

I have a similar situation. PP expires in Mar 03 and approval is expected any day (I've been talking myself into believing that for the last 3 months! RD Aug 03/01, RFE Sep02)

Taking a >6 month valid PP is advisable, especially since the plastic cards make take a while. I went to the Indian consulate in NYC yesterday to get a new PP, as mine was final. They do issue a new PP on the same day, if you go early enough. I made it to the counter by 11:45 am and they said I have to come back the next day -- not enough processsing time...