Passport Validity for GC stamping

BlessAll

Guys, I apologize for not doing a proper search on this subject but a quick question on GC stamping - I got my approval and my PP expires in October 2001. Somewhere on this forum I remember reading that the PP should be valid AT LEAST for 6 months. Does anyone know of any such requirement? Thanks

No Title

You are right there was some posting that passport must be valid for atleast 6 months. I think just to be on the safe side you should get it renewed any way either in NYC or Washington D.C. It takes only one day of visit to get your passport renewed.

No Title

My passport is also going to expire around November 2001 and I have less than 6 month time. I have interview on 27th of this month at Baltimore.

I am not going to do anything right now just because I heard that in some cases Indian Embessy did mess, they lost passport. As I don\'t want any trouble while interview, if IIO insist to extend passport then only I will go for it.

I also asked my lawyer and he said you are fine.

Bajrang

No Title

Not to worry so much. Go and get new passport done if needed on or after October 2001 or if can wait till GC arrives do it then.

Yes there is standard procedure for all coutries to have passport vaild more then 6 months. However that does not mean your GC stamping is invalid.

You will be fine. I have renewed my passport when I had H1b visa on old one and had no problem.

Good Luck

No Title

Hi all,

I have a question on this topic. If a passport is valid for 1 year(for example), how many years the GC Stamping\'s Validity they would stamp on the passport?

In other words is the "GC Stamp Validity" is BASED On duration of Validity of the Passport?(Is\'t linked?)

Thanks in advance.

Have a great day.

Regards
Princess

No Title

you should always keep your old passport with the new one.
validity of GC is independent of passport\'s validity.

No Title

Hi,

So, when you Renew the passport, do the Consulate gives the Old Passport with the New Passport?

Thanks
Princess

No Title

they should. you should keep the old copy so you will not lose your travel history as well..also, if you have your H1 stamped on the old one, you really need to keep the old one.

at least for my case, i have my old passport, my wife and kid also have their old passports...

No Title

Hi all,

Thanks all and jake for the useful info.

I know we can browse the Indian Consulate web site for \'Passport Renewal Info."(after its expiry). But it would be so helpful if you can post your personal experience here.

Can anyone who gone through \'Passport Renewal Process\' post the information related to,
1. Documents Needed to be taken for \'Passport Renewal\'.
2. Fee Payable to consulate for the renewal.
3. Where to go for stamping? What time is good to be there?
4. How much time does it take for the renewal if going \'In Person\' Vs. \'Mail\' Plus which is safe? .
5. Any helpful additional information.

Thanks and have a great day.

Regards
Priyadarshini

No Title

It has been a week since I got my passport renewed in Washington DC. I live in Virginia, which is only 16 miles from the consulate

1. Documents Needed to be taken for \'Passport Renewal\'.

--- Passport, Driving Licence, 3 photographs and the 3 page application form
2. Fee Payable to consulate for the renewal.

--- $24 ( I paid in cash at the counter)

They gave me a token and asked to collect it on the following day between 4.30 PM and 5.30 PM. It was a very simple procedure as compared to filling up 485 application

rsatya

No Title

rsatya,

Good Afternoon. Thank you much for the useful info. Some more info. needed plz...
- Can you specify what kind of Photographs needed (passport styled - color, is there any Size etc)?
- Did they give back the old Passport? If NOT what happens to the "Visa Stamping on your old passport"?
- When you gave the passport for renewal did you take the I-94 card and kept it with you?
- How long the Renewed Passport\'s Validity is for?

Have a good day.

Thanks
Priyadarshini