Passport Update,do we need to inform USCIS

usa_gc_waiting

Registered Users (C)
Hi GUYS..

My ND for I140/485 is 09/11/2004(EB2,NSC)
I have already received EAD..
I got new passport as my old passport expired this month..
Do you guys think i need to inform USCIS about this change..
My attorney says no need to inform them..
Has anybody got this experience..Pls share..

I would imagine it is better to send them a copy of your new passport.
You submitted a copy of the passport during your application, now that passport is no longer valid, (only the visa stamped on that passport is valid)

I have no idea why they need a copy of the passport, but there is no harm in sending more information as opposed to sending less information.

usa_gc_waiting said:
Hi GUYS..

My ND for I140/485 is 09/11/2004(EB2,NSC)
I have already received EAD..
I got new passport as my old passport expired this month..
Do you guys think i need to inform USCIS about this change..
My attorney says no need to inform them..
Has anybody got this experience..Pls share..

Not needed.

My attorney said the same.If they have a question was informed they will send a RFE.
Even if you send the INS mightnot be updating the new info what you send.

jsudhir said:
My attorney said the same.If they have a question was informed they will send a RFE.
Even if you send the INS mightnot be updating the new info what you send.

I cant understand why you would wait for an RFE to send information?
The RFE would unnecessarily delay the whole thing, and cause avoidable tension in most people.

new passport...

base on my experience you don't need to inform them with the new passport,they only need that after they approved your case for stamping,the reason they have your old passport is to verify how and when you enter the US with the I-94...

Your attorney is right

A long time ago saw a website (don't know if still is up) explaining the TSC internals. There they explained that unsolicited information was very likely to get lost (i.e. not find its way to the right file) since there wasn't anyone expecting to receive anything from you. Their advise was wait for an RFE (if any) and send it along.

Rich

I got a new passport since my old one expired. Did not send a copy to CIS, our 485's were approved on 02/09/05

It's not mandatory to send copy of new PP

I got my PP renewed in Sept 04. I plan to take both my PPs when I go for PP stamping...just so that I have the old one incase the officer wants to see it.

Long story short...no real need to let them know. If you are responding to an RFE etc, you can send the copies of old and new at the same time. The new PP has a stamp that indicates the old PP number. Eventhough the old one has expired, all visas stamped are valid and require that you carry your old PP also.