Passport Stamping

jeohardy

Registered Users (C)
Hi. This is my first posting to this forum. I have a question and would really appreciate any help in this matter.
I have completed Canadian Immigration interview (under skilled worker category), Medicals, sent the ROLF and am now waiting for the Landing Documents. I understand that after recieving the Landing Docs, you need to present them at the Port of Entry and your passport gets stamped. Here are my questions:

1) For some reason, I need to go to Canada very soon and it might take a few months to get the Landing docs. If I go to Canada before recieving the Landing Docs (on a visitors visa) and recieve the Landing docs while I am in Canada, can I get my passport stamped while in Canada. If yes, will I get the actual Green Card right away?

Thanks a lot,
Joe

Yes, I do.
Can someone please answer my question about passport stamping in Canada. I would really appreciate the help.

Joe

Jeohardy:

First you are confused about stamping -
"I understand that after recieving the Landing Docs, you need to present them at the Port of Entry and your passport gets stamped."

You dont receive any landing docs now. CHC will send a letter asking you to send your passsport to the CHC office you applied. You had not mentioned where you applied so lets assume its Buffalo (US).

SO unless you give change of address they will send this letter to your US address.

From the wording of letter I received frm Buffalo I think they will send passport back to either US or canadian address so that way you should be able to get your passport back in Canada if you have someone at your old US address to receive the letter.
The wording in my letter was ( I applied from US to Buffalo):
"If your current mailing address is not in US or canada please provide us with complete name, address, phone of a friend or relative in US or Canada to which to send for visa"
Note: "visa" means passport stamped with visa.

"If yes, will I get the actual Green Card right away? "

There is nothign like green card, I think you mean PR card for canada? Once you get your passport stamped you will have to formally land in Canada as immigrant, I think at a immigration post, and then you can apply for PR card which takes about 4 weeks to come and is mailed within Canada only.

Hope it helps.

You can also visit http://www.tcscanadainc.com/wwwboard/index.html to get a (free) attorneys advice too.

Vibhavg,thanks a lot for all this information. Your help is really appreciated. Need some more clarification please.
So, if I am in Canada when CHC sends me the letter asking me to send the passport for "visa" and I send them the passport and a Canadian address, where to send it back to, what do I do after getting the "visa" since I would already be in Canada. Can I change my status from "visitor" to "Landed Immigrant" without actually leaving Canada (such as at a local immigration office or something)? and also, can I apply for the PR card at the same time.
Also, my passport expires in 6 months. So, I am assuming that I will get a visa valid for the validity of the passport and when I get the passport renewed, I will have to get the renewed passport stamped. Right?
Again, thanks for your help.

Joe.

visa stamp is required only for the first time entry and has a expiry which will be earlier of 1 year since your medical or passport expiration date. Since youa re already in Canada you will have to go to either a immigration post at the border or if there is some imigration office (I dont know if there are any, you might want to call CIC call center to inquire) to get your passport stamped, at the same time the immigration officer will fill your pr card application which will arrive in mail in about 4 weeks. After that you dont need any stamp. BTW the the initial visa stamp is not valid for travel so you can not go out of canada till you receive your pr card. You dont need any new stamp in your new passport.

Thanks again for the information. Does Canadian Immigration share information with the US INS...more specifically, if you got PR status in Canada, would US INS come to know about it, other than looking at the visa/landed immigrant stamp on your passport.

Thanks,
Joe

No they dont. But ultimately you will have to let go of one PR status.

BTW when you send your passport for stamping asking them to send it back to a canadian address, if you have not submitted change of address ie they still have your old US address, make sure to include a prepaid self addresses envolope and acover letter asking them to mail passport to that address. And to be on safer side if possible have someone at your US address also in case CHC decide not to read your cover letter and send it to the address in their records.