Passport Stamping in Charlotte - Your Help Needed and Appreciated

durhamguy

Registered Users (C)
Hi Friends:

I got the approval notice on May 25. It was approved and mailed out on May 18. I am planning to go to Charlotte to get passport stamping. Can someone with recent experiences help me answer the following questions:

1. On the notice, my local INS office is Room 138, 6 Woodlawn Green, Charlotte, NC 28217. Has the office recently moved. The old address is 6130 Tyvola Centre Dr, Charlotte NC 28217. My question is: Which one should I go to for passport stamping.

2. Hours for processing are 9am to 12 noon Tue-Thur. Any suggestion on the best day in the week and time of the day?

3. Apart from the documents listed on the notice, do I need to bring anything else?

4. Do I need the original copy from my lawyer for the passport stamping?

5. Is there an expiration date for the approval notice? In other words, what's deadline for my passport stamping?

6. What else should I know and do before I go there?

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

Durham guy

PD: 4/25, 2000
RD: 3/21, 2002
ND: 5/18/2004

durhamguy said:
Hi Friends:

I got the approval notice on May 25. It was approved and mailed out on May 18. I am planning to go to Charlotte to get passport stamping. Can someone with recent experiences help me answer the following questions:

Congratulations!

1. On the notice, my local INS office is Room 138, 6 Woodlawn Green, Charlotte, NC 28217. Has the office recently moved. The old address is 6130 Tyvola Centre Dr, Charlotte NC 28217. My question is: Which one should I go to for passport stamping.

The correct address to go for PP stamping is 6130 Tyvola Centre. At least it used to be 2 months ago. I think the Woodlawn Green is the old address, the Tyvola Centre one is new. They are both open but for PP you need to go to Tyvola Centre.

2. Hours for processing are 9am to 12 noon Tue-Thur. Any suggestion on the best day in the week and time of the day?

Since you are from Durham, you should go Tue-Thu. Try to be there as early as possible 6-7AM at the latest. So, you'll either have to spend the night in Charlotte, or leave Durham around 3-4AM...

3. Apart from the documents listed on the notice, do I need to bring anything else?

What I needed:
-- approval notice (official or courtesy)
-- passport
-- 2 photos
-- EADs, I-94s

4. Do I need the original copy from my lawyer for the passport stamping?

Either will do.

5. Is there an expiration date for the approval notice? In other words, what's deadline for my passport stamping?

I don't think there's a deadline. However, the more you delay the later you'll get your plastic card. What is commonly referred as "stamping" is actually 2 different processes - PP stamping (which is not mandatory) and I-89 filing. I-89 is the application for the actual plastic card and you have to do it, you give pictures and an index finger print for that.

6. What else should I know and do before I go there?

Something based on my experience:
1) Tyvola Center is easy to miss when you're driving there, keep your eyes open when you get close (Mapquest will give you good directions to it)
2) When you get in line before entering the building, get rid of any pocket knives, scissors, utility tools,(if you happen to carry these things) there's a security check just like at the airport.
3) Make copies of all documents they'll take away from you, you never know if you may nered them again for some reason.

Good luck!

I posted couple of experiences in your previous thread

Please take a look at your previous thread.

I left 2 experiences for you.