passport stamping experience at denver

rajib_rashid

Registered Users (C)
Hello...

I wasn't able to locate a specific thread for posting stamping experiences, but I wanted to share my experience as this forum has been very helpful throughout the entire GC process :)

I received the paper (courtesy) copy of the approval notice on Sep 04. Since the local INS office is closed on Fridays, I had to wait until the following week. I had some idea about what to expect from previous posts (thanks guys!), so I arrived at the Paris St. office at 6:00am. There were already 25 or so people in line. By 7:00am, that number grew to ~80. Although the official operating hours for the office is 7:30am onwards, the guard let folks with appointments (for 7:10am & 7:30am) into the building at 7:00am. After that, groups of 10-15 were let into the building at a time. Around 8:00am, I was inside.

You will need to go through metal detectors immediately after entering. I was wearing sneakers instead of shoes with steel in sole/heel, not wearing belt, etc. Just didn't want to go through the hassle. Then had to stand in another (short) line. Note that you do not get a ticket until you talk to an IIO, so no need to look for the dispenser when you notice other folks holding tickets ;) Besides, passport stamping is done on the spot, and no ticket is needed. At 8:15am, I was called to the counter. The IIO took the following items:

- approval notice (courtesy copy)
- current passport and last I-94
- two copies of immigration style photo
- old EAD

I did not have any AP. She confirmed my mailing address, wrote down the A# on both sides of form I-551, took right index finger print and had me sign the form (again, both sides). Then she stamped the passport (not on page 21, as some had indicated), wrote down the A#, expiration date (one year from today) and handed it back to me. She put the pictures in a plastic envelope and attached it to the I-551. Also stapled the old I-94 to the approval notice, wrote a note on the approval notice that PP was stamped, and gave me a photocopy of it. The entire process took no more than 5 minutes

Other observations and comments:

(a) Do not park in the parking lot for the BCIS office ... some folks had done so, possibly because they had arrived early and did not notice the posted signs, and were asked by the guard to move their cars. Possible options are on-street parking on Paris St. or by the Wells Fargo Bank at the opposite corner of the complex

(b) If you're going for stamping between Sep and (possibly) October, and planning on arriving early, even if it hasn't started snowing, bring a light jacket. You'll be standing in a shaded area, and usually there's a breeze. Denver residents should be familiar with the condition :)

(c) Make sure you're at the correct end of the line. Folks who have appointments can go to the beginning of the line. With 15-20 people huddled around the door, it is not always obvious where the line starts

Here are all the details:

CAT : EB3
RD : Dec 21, 2001
ND : Jan 03, 2002
EAD1 : Jan 14, 2002
FP1 : Feb 22, 2002
EAD2 : Jan 13, 2003
RFE : Jul 28, 2003 (employment verification, i-20 for wife)
FP2 : Aug 09, 2003 (earlier than scheduled)
AD : Sep 02, 2003
PPS : Sep 08, 2003

My wife's case was transferred to local office on Sep 03, possibly because we got married right before filing my application. Still awaiting notice and interview appointment.

Finally ... those of you on the same boat, hang in there. It may not seem like it at times, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, and there *is* some order around this seemingly chaotic process. This forum, as well as Rupnet has been a great resource for both various information as well as moral support. But remember that only a fraction of all applicants post to these forums, and typically when frustrated ;) So treat them as support groups, and not true representation of current trends.

Best of wishes...

Great post ..

Thanks a lot for the detailed post .. Congratulations ...

Have a great time..

Thanks Rajib....

Yes, its a detailed description...which si going to help all of us...

Congrats once again....

Congrats rajib_rashid

Hey rajib_rashid,
Congrats on your approval and thanks a lot for information on stamping. I have one question, do we have to get ready inadvance with any kind of documents or photos for stamping (like what we did for 485)?

waiting_4_485

RD:Feb 06,2002
ND:Feb 12,2002

Originally posted by waiting_4_485
do we have to get ready inadvance with any kind of documents or photos for stamping (like what we did for 485)?
Hi waiting_4_485..

IIO will only ask for the items listed in my original post, plus any advanced parole documents that you may have. Since the stamp on the passport, and eventually the physical GC is your proof of legal residency and permission to work, the EAD and AP are no longer needed. You do have to provide two additional copies of the ADIT style photo (same as the type you provided for the I-485 application). The IIO may ask simple questions, usually to confirm address, date of last arrival into USA, but it is not an "interview" :)

When you go for passport stamping, two different tasks are being completed. First, you are receiving the alternate (in the form of the stamp) for the EAD/AP. More importantly, you are providing two copies of photo, signature and finger-print for form I-551, which is required for the physical card to be created.

Regards

Hi Sriram,

My I-485 ND is NOV 18th 2002, a couple of days before yours. Let me know, if we can talk privately and share information & experience

Thanks,
Flamboyant