Passport stamped successfully at other than Designated INS Center

venkat97

Registered Users (C)
VSC ND Sept 12th 2000
EB2, RIR, INDIA
EAC-00-270-xxxxx
No RFE.
Approval Date: Sept 14th 2001
Passport Stamped at San Francisco INS on Sept 26th 2001.

Folks, here is my PP stamping experience:
1). Reached SFO INS at 8AM. Entered through Sansome St entrance.
2). Security person asked photo id, passed through security check and took elevator to reach second floor.
3). Dropped 485 approval letters in the slot, which can be found on Room 200B door.
4). An INS officer called us, after 45 minutes, at counter number 19.
5). I was very tensed at this time, because I had 485 approval from VSC, on which it is written to visit Newark, NJ INS on Wednesday. After reading some similar experiences from folks on this site, I decided to give a try at San Francisco INS.
6). The INS officer looked at my 485 approval and asked me "Sir, do you have courtesy copy? ( The 485 approval I have, has lawyer\'s NY address on it )". I replied "No, I received only these papers form Lawyer\'s office". He asked me "Did you change your address yet?". I replied "Not yet". This officer is very friendly and polite. Surprisingly he didn\'t ask me to show proof of current address. He strike out lawyer\'s address on the 485 approval and told me to write my current address on the bottom of 485 approval page. Later he said "actually you should go to 1st floor to change your address, but this time I can do it for you". He collected PP, photos, All EADs and APs apart from 485 approval letter and told me "it will take another 30 minutes to get your passports back".
7). Exactly at 10AM my name was called at the same counter 19, there I collected the stamped passport and conveyed my sincerer thanks to that INS officer. ( I started feeling freedom at this point... ;- ) )

Finally I want to convey my lot of thanks to Rajiv Khanna, Myladoor, Ciba and other friends & folks who shared their experiences and ideas on this board.
--Venkat

Some TIPS for who wants to visit SFO INS for PP stamping:
a). Driving from San Jose to San Francisco INS is not a bad idea in the early morning. I actually started from home ( San Jose ) at 6.45AM and reached SFO INS by 8AM. Traffic on hwy 280 was cool.
b). There are many meter parking slots on Washington street. You may not find parking lot very close to SFO INS. I found one, which is ( near Washington St & Davis St intersection ) 2 blocks away form SFO INS. In total I paid $1.75 for this parking.
c). Try to find a seat near to counter 19. Pay attention to the INS officer who calls people names.
d). Try to be there early. Take Sansome St entrance instead Washington St entrance. I have seen big line ( 30+ people ) at Washington St entrance at 9AM. I think reaching SFO INS before 8AM is good idea.
e). Enjoy Starbucks Coffee at Washington St & Davis Intersection...if you want to relax after stamping...