Passport Requirements

todd2006

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I want to know how long does it take to get a US Passport and what are the fees and how can i expedite the procedure.

Do i have to fill DS-11 Form and what other papers i have to attach to it

Thank you

Todd

Download the DS-11 form and follow the instructions. They are quite clear. You'll need your natz cert, passport pictures, a driver's license and whatever else the the instructions say.

You must go to a passport "agent" (most post offices provide this service). You show your ID to the agent who verifies that you are who you say you are. Then he/she makes you swear an oath that the information is correct. You only sign the application at that time.

For the passport fee + the acceptance fee, you can get a passport in two or three months. For an additional "expediting fee", they will rush it. This usually takes a week or 3, but, there is a huge rush going on and things are slower these days.

Finally, the department of state maintains 14 passport agencies. If you are leaving the country *very* soon, and you have proof of this, they will accept and application and process it that day or the next day.

*Everything* is in the instructions or available at http://travel.state.gov.

ID for Minor

Flydog,
Just one question, when applying for passport for my Son (minor, based on naturalization of parents) what ID can he present (he has no state ID or DL)? Would his current foriegn passport be accepted as ID?

-g

Thanks Flydog. I am a little confused on the following:

2. Submit Proof of U.S. Citizenship (for minors under age 14)

For Minors under Age 14 you must establish proof of citizenship AND proof of relationship. Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship to the applying parent(s)/guardian(s). See number 3 below for proof of relationship.

All documents submitted with the application as evidence of U.S. citizenship will be returned with the issued passport. See Processing Times.

For proof of citizenship, you will need to submit one of the following:

Certified U.S. birth certificate ; or
Previous fully valid U.S. Passport; or
Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240); or
Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350); or
Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization from USCIS.

Since my Son would not have any of the above, do they accept the parents Naturalization certificate as proof of citizenship?

-g

Correct me if I'm wrong Flydog but the only ways to establish citizenship for a minor is either (existing US passport, US birth certficate, USCIS Naturalization certificate). So a foreign passport or the parents Nat. cert. won't do.
If your child was born overseas and you were naturalized in the US, then you would need to petition CIS to certify that he/she's a citizen as well based on your naturalization. (I'm not sure which form that would be (maybe N-600), but I think Flydog had a similar situation with his daughter).

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister was under 18 when she and my dad applied for US passport for her. She didn't have any certificate. She showed her GC, fathers state ID, their SSN, my sister had also ISIC card (international student id). They sent her US Passport. Then they applied N600 for certificate, she had an interview next year and SHE WAS DENIED A CERT!!!!! WTH?? Because she was living abroad, what she could do as US Citizen with US Passport. We are now considering to reapply for a cert.

Go to the http://travel.state.gov link I sent earlier, read what it says. Then download the passport application form. In the attached instructions (section 1.b.(1)):

(1) If You Claim Citizenship Through Naturalization of Parent(s). Submit the Certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent(s), your foreign birth certificate, and proof of your admission to the United States for permanent residence.

It worked for my daughter (with my wife's natz cert). Reading the instructions can be a very rewarding experience.

The only hitch we had is that because we have different last names (the law where we come from), the state department folks also wanted a marriage certificate that showed we were married when my daughter was born.

So, just follow the instructions (you need a parent's natz cert, a birth cert, some id, the child's green card, whatever else it asks for) and throw in a marriage certificate for good measure.

Both parents need to go to the passport office or post office (which it also says in the instructions).

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator: