Passport Issuance Delay Due To Katrina

Mushka

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I became a citizen in July of this year in Los Angeles. I applied for an U.S. Passport at the post office on 8/4/05. I am traveling oversees on 10/20/05 and according to the U.S. Passport website (before Katrina) it said that I should have my passport by 9/10/05.

I just received a postcard from the processing agency telling me that due to Katrina there will be delays and to go to the website.

The website says that if you are in Southern California and you are planning to travel in the next 6 weeks to contact them because most of our applications were to be processed in New Orleans, WHAT ARE THE CHANCES!! I have already sent them an e-mail since my trip is in 44 days and I sure hope I won’t have any problems because they have my original citizenship certificate and without it I am toast. http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Has this happened to anyone else, if so, please share whatever info you may have as I will do the same.

Thanks.

Response received to my inquiry online.

Your application is in process in the New Orleans Passport Agency. Due to
Hurricane Katrina the New Orleans Passport agency is closed. If you are
traveling within two weeks you may either make an appointment at the nearest regional passport agency or refile an application at the acceptance facility you originally applied at. If you are traveling within the next 4-6 weeks, you will need to re-apply at the acceptance facility where you originally applied. The Acceptance facility is aware of the situation and should have further instructions. If you are not traveling within 6 weeks, check the status again in 2 weeks or contact us when you are within 6 weeks of travel.

Passport delay

Hi there,

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I became a citizen in New York City in July and sent in my passport application (and Naturalization Certificate) a week later.
My main concern is not the delay in the passport (I'm not travelling until January) but the possible loss of my Naturalization Certificate.
All I want is someone in the Passport office to tell me that "yes, they can process my passport application even if my certificate is floating about in Lake Ponchartrain".
I've called the Passport hotline every week. On Friday Sept 9th, I was told that all the applications in the New Orleans office had been physically moved to South Carolina.
On Friday Sept. 16th I was told that they are still going through those applications to find which ones made it and which ones are missing.
No one can tell me if they will be able to get me a passport if they have lost my Natiralization Certificate. The woman I spoke to said "I guess they will call the INS". Well we all know what calling the INS is like!
I called the INS two weeks ago to find out if they knew anything about this (there must be thousands of us in the same situation). I was on hold for 40 minutes and they didn't know anything about it and couldn't tell me how long it would take to get a replacement Naturalization Certificate (but it will cost $210).
So that's all I know right now.
Please let me know if you get any more information and if/when you get your passport.
Best of luck!!

Arundel44 said:
Hi there,

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I became a citizen in New York City in July and sent in my passport application (and Naturalization Certificate) a week later.
My main concern is not the delay in the passport (I'm not travelling until January) but the possible loss of my Naturalization Certificate.
All I want is someone in the Passport office to tell me that "yes, they can process my passport application even if my certificate is floating about in Lake Ponchartrain".
I've called the Passport hotline every week. On Friday Sept 9th, I was told that all the applications in the New Orleans office had been physically moved to South Carolina.
On Friday Sept. 16th I was told that they are still going through those applications to find which ones made it and which ones are missing.
No one can tell me if they will be able to get me a passport if they have lost my Natiralization Certificate. The woman I spoke to said "I guess they will call the INS". Well we all know what calling the INS is like!
I called the INS two weeks ago to find out if they knew anything about this (there must be thousands of us in the same situation). I was on hold for 40 minutes and they didn't know anything about it and couldn't tell me how long it would take to get a replacement Naturalization Certificate (but it will cost $210).
So that's all I know right now.
Please let me know if you get any more information and if/when you get your passport.
Best of luck!!

It would be totally preposterous if you have to pay $210 to get a replacement certificate because the passport agency lost it.

I am in the same shoe. I got naturalized on August 17th 2005 and applied on the same day. I have no clue if and when my passport will come and most important my original naturalization certificate... :confused:

N400_2004 said:
I am in the same shoe. I got naturalized on August 17th 2005 and applied on the same day. I have no clue if and when my passport will come and most important my original naturalization certificate... :confused:

I'm from Texas and thankfully it's not one of the states listed.

Hi again,
I called the Passport Agency again this moring and got good news. My passport was mailed out to me yesterday. Good luck to all the others who are waiting and worried. I hope it works out soon for you guys!

Passport processing - expedited or normal?

Hi all,

I will be attending the Oath ceremonty in a few weeks. Between expedited and normal passport processing, othere than how fast the passport application is processed, is there any other advantage/disadvantage, e.g. safety, loss of certifcate of naturatlization.

I will be travelling 2 months after my Oath. Any recommendation which one?

Thank you,
Aha.

ahacali said:
Hi all,

I will be attending the Oath ceremonty in a few weeks. Between expedited and normal passport processing, othere than how fast the passport application is processed, is there any other advantage/disadvantage, e.g. safety, loss of certifcate of naturatlization.

I will be travelling 2 months after my Oath. Any recommendation which one?

Thank you,
Aha.

i would apply the passport using expedited + overnight (both ways) service. i rather pay more than feel sorry later.