Passport expiry while awaiting FBI name check

nielsen

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks,

I am currently on H1b visa awaiting my FBI name check clearance for my adjustment of status. My passport is expiring after 4 months and I wanted to apply for another one. As I understand, the new passport would have a different passport number than my current one.

How does getting a new passport affect my AOS application ? Do I need to refile the AOS application or can I just send the new passport photocopies to the USCIS ?

Thanks for the help.

nielsen said:
Hi folks,

I am currently on H1b visa awaiting my FBI name check clearance for my adjustment of status. My passport is expiring after 4 months and I wanted to apply for another one. As I understand, the new passport would have a different passport number than my current one.

How does getting a new passport affect my AOS application ? Do I need to refile the AOS application or can I just send the new passport photocopies to the USCIS ?

Thanks for the help.
Im not sure if you get a new passport numbers when you renew, you may want to check with your embassy. Your new pasport does not affect your application. Save your old passport (as all your visas are in it) and take it to the interview with your new one. The officer would update their records.

In case there's a current visa which overpasses the expiry date of the passport, you can keep the pages of your visa from your old passport or keep the entire passport for the period the visa is valid.
I am pretty sute any country has a clarified policy about that. Check with your local embassy or consolute.
It does not affect the Aos. Keep your I-94. The I-94 number is actually more important than the passport number as a proof of legal admittance in the US