passport expiry before/soon after the 485 approval

CoolRaj_03

Registered Users (C)
The passport of my child is valid only until August 04, and I am expecting my approval in near future.
[Currently filing response to RFE on my 485 application ].

I am seriously considering, whether I should apply for passport renewal of my child and get the renewed passport.

I have following two questions.

1) Is it the most appropriate thing to do ?

2) what happens to the attached I/94/AP card attaached with the passport. [I know that is required by INS at the time of stamping ] Does it remains attached with the old passport or does it need to get attached with the new passport now ?

Advance Thx,

-CoolRaj

It is - Get it renewed, as they check for the validity of the passport (atleast 6 months valid) before they stamp the I551.

I-94 is left in the old passport - make a copy of it before sending it for renewal (And they send the old passport as well after renewal) -

In my opinion, you don't have to send I-94 to the consulate for passport renewal.

prospeed said:
It is - Get it renewed, as they check for the validity of the passport (atleast 6 months valid) before they stamp the I551.

I-94 is left in the old passport - make a copy of it before sending it for renewal (And they send the old passport as well after renewal) -

You should renew the passport. Takes about 15 days and it is recommended that you do it 6 months before expiry of the current passport.

You don't lose your old passport, you just get a new one, so you don't have to give your I94 with the passport to the consulate to renew it. Just keep it with you.

If your child is an Indian national, visit this link for more information on passport renewal.

http://www.indianconsulate-sf.org/

the consulate is very quick, you may be able to get the passport renewed in just couple of days. They will ask for documentation for your immigration status, yours and child's passports, couple of pictures and a money order.