Passport application, Name change, lost Certificate of Naturalization, N-565

QuidProQuo

(Originally posted in U.S. Citizenship Forum --reposting here in Life After Citizenship. Moderators please merge/delete as you feel necessary!)

Good afternoon everyone.

Our family is planning a trip abroad and I need to apply for a passport.

I was naturalized at in 1985 and have since gotten married. *To apply for a passport, I need to bring my original Certificate of Naturalization (CoN) but it has been lost. *I have copies, but not the original. *Even then, the original has my maiden name, not my married name on it.

1. *Can I use Form N-565 to apply for a replacement CoN AND have it contain my married name?

Form N-565 has an option to obtain a replacement due to lost original CoN and it has an option to obtain a replacement due to name change, but NOT BOTH. *Can I check both boxes, include a detailed explanation, include copies of my CoN, and expect/hope for a favorable outcome?

2. *When I apply for a passport, can I submit a CoN with my maiden name on it even though I want my married name on the passport? *I have a marriage certificate to prove my maiden name and married name. *Or do I have to have a CoN with my married name on it?

I wonder if I should just apply for a replacement CoN and not bother changing the name on it if it is less complicated. *However, if there comes a time when I'd need a CoN with my married name, I would hate to have to go thru the long process and expense of submitting another Form N-565.

Any insight and advice is very much appreciated!!

Hi,

I have a similar question - can I reapply for new CofN and at the same time request a name change? My other concern is that my marriage certificate is from another country (translated and certified) but it only states my maiden (current) name, not the new name that I want to take. Do I need to get a USA court order to change the name?

Thank you very much for any help!

how long does it take to get back a lost certificate? I applied in December 2016.. does it take months if so how many?