Parents Divorced - Problems with last name ?

december stud

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am on an emotional rollercoaster here and would appreciate any input from you guys.

To start off, both me and my wife are permanent residents in USA and we are Indian citizens.

My mother got divorced from my father when I was a small kid. She got re-married to a wonderful man who has been my dad all these years. So, my 10th standard marks sheet and 12th marks sheet and my passport and all and any documents have my step-dad's name in my "father's name" field.

My step dad has a son from his first marriage. That guy is 10 years older to me.

For some odd reason, now my step brother is threatening to go to court saying that I have falsely used his father's name as my father's name. Basically he says that he will drag me to court and send a copy to American consulate as well. His point is that I have used his father's name falsely in order to get visa. That's absolute nonsense since my step-dad has literally been my father ever since I knew what was right and what was wrong. Also, as I mentioned earleir, my 10th marks sheet itself has my step dad's name as my father's name.

Legally will this be an issue now ? I hope not, but I don't know. I was never adopted by my step-father. But, the very fact that my biological mother married this guy says that he is my step father. Does anyone know how it works in India and America ?

Please advise, this has been a hell of an emotional nightmare for me.