P3 for Spouse

bangaloreman

Registered Users (C)
My fee receipt has been generated at NVC. I got married recently and want to add my wife to the CP application. Reading all the information available in this forum, I get the impression that my attorney needs to fax over the marriage certificate and wife's birth certificate to NVC (thats what NVC is telling me too!!). But my attorney is telling me that there is no need to fax anything to NVC.

According to them once they receive my P3 they will include my wife in there. I thought a seperate P3 needs to be generated for my wife. Am I correct or is my attorney just bluffing? Don't they need to send in a seperate fees for my wife and get the P3 generated for her too?

Any insight will be appreciated.....

You are both right...

You have to notify NVC of the marriage. If you send them your marriage cert and your wife's birth cert, NVC will create a fee bill for her and the process will continue. If you inform them thru the P3, they may generate a fee bill at that stage and the process may stall until the fee is paid or they may send the case to the consulate and have you pay at the time of CP. I think you should inform NVC ASAP to avoid delays. Good luck- and welcome to the forum!;)

Rajeev; fellow Bangalorean!

I was in the same situation like you. I had paid my fee bill and was waiting for P3 before i got married. After marriage, I got my P3. I faxed our marriage certificate (my wife dont have birth certificate), which also contains date of birth, to NVC. They added my wife and generated fee bill. I mailed her fee bill before I mailed P3. I just used online DS230 form to fill for both of us. The important thing is the barcode sheet in P3, so you can send yours and your wife's DS 230 in one mail. you can track my case at cptracker.com

They wont send the reviewed P3 to india until they receive notification from st.louis that the fee bill for your wife is paid. So, unless you dont mind waiting for one or two extra months time, you fax marriage certificate and birth certificate to NVC. I dont know, if you need your lawyer to fax these things, since I dont have a lawyer for myself.

if you want you can follow your lawyer's idea and send P3 for both of you along with marriage certificate and your wife's birth certificate. but still you would have to pay her fee bill before they send it to india. it takes about 10 days for NVC to look into your P3 after receiving it and hence will generate fee bill only after 10 days or so. NVC may not like receiving DS 230 without having a case number. So, talk to your lawyer and NVC and then decide what you want to do.