OWE TAX Can I apply for citizenzhip

crystalstar

I owe income tax. if IO ask for lasy 5years tax turn which I can't provide. What would happen? Any respone will be appreciated.

It would look like you need to make amends with uncle Sam. I mean you would need to solve your tax issue. What is done in the past is done and you can't change much. It is not clear to me when you say that if the IO asks you for 5 years taxes you can't provide this. So, what's the issue, did you file tax returns for these years or just didn't pay taxes? What will happen is anybody's guess. My guess would be that if the IO gets a whiff that you've not been filing tax returns (which I guess they can find quite easily through your SSN) things can turn south pretty quickly from there and the least that can hapen is that your naturalization application gets denied. Honestly I don't have experience with this sort of cases, hope somebody else can chime in. Definitely it would look to me like you need to straighten out your tax situation.

My 2 cents.

crystalstar - I'm not sure if you if you've looked at an N-400 form, but there is a question on it asking whether you owe any federal or state taxes.

To be eligible for natz, you need to at least have filed all your tax returns and have an agreed payment plan in place with the IRS. This is critically important, as it demonstrates you intend to be a good citizen who is attached to the principles of the constitution. Failure to get a handle on this problem, or worse - lying about it - will not lead to a favorable outcome.

if i don't bring tax retrun with for the interview

if i don't ring tax returna with me to the interview . IO ask me to provide that documents by mail if i don't mail it to them what will happen ?

if i don't ring tax returna with me to the interview . IO ask me to provide that documents by mail if i don't mail it to them what will happen ?

I'm a bit shocked by the question. I haven't seen a case like the one you describe, so what I am going to tell you is just my best guess. Your application won't be approved and eventually will be denied due to abandonment, you'll lose $400 dollars in the process plus your time. Best you can hope for is that the IO doesn't ask you for the tax returns, but that is probably hoping too much. Again, I would think that you have to straighten out your tax situation with IRS, work some payment plan or something. You can wait to naturalize until you have your finances and taxes in order, no need to rush.

My 2 cents.

The process of asking for additional documentation is called a Request for Evidences (RFE). You generally have 30 days to respond and get the items to the officer for evaluation, and if you don't, your case will be simply be denied.

Now coming back to my original point - you MUST acknowledge the fact you failed to file returns and owe taxes by answering yes to Part 10, Questions 4 & 5. This in itself will guarantee you will be asked for your tax returns, so you might as well go to the interview prepared.

Since your answers to all questions on the N-400 are given under oath, you would be putting yourself in a very precarious situation by lying or omitting this information. Is it really worth risking your GC over this?

Please, seek professional advice.