Overstayed as a minor 8 years ago. F-1 application denied?

darcxvyrus

Hello,

I went to the States on a travel visa with my parents when I was 10 years old (year 2001).
I attended public elementary, middle schools and a charter school in California until my departure in 2006, before I turned 15.

Unfortunately, we were caught by the US border patrol one day when I was 13. They didn't take my fingerprints because I was under 14 at the time, but I'm sure my records are in the USCIS database. We had a court hearing in front of an immigration judge, and we decided to depart voluntarily. We left in 2006, before I turned 15. We never tried to re-enter the US since.

Ever since leaving the States, I came back to South Korea, and I've been in school, now studying engineering.
I graduate with a bachelor's degree next year (summer of 2014), and I want to pursue a PhD degree in the States.
I plan on paying for grad school with funding from the school.

My question is, will my application for F-1 visa be denied because of my record?
I've read that children are not held responsible for their parents' actions, but I want to make sure if getting a student visa is possible/impossible.

Is there any way to get a clear answer? (If so, who should I get in contact with at the embassy? because the call-center at the US embassy in Seoul couldn't give me a clear-cut answer.)

Last edited by a moderator:
You have speak to an immigration attorney. Since you had voluntary departed from United States, Hope you wont be having any issues. If you do not attempt any crimes while you was in overstay, that wont create any issues on your F-1 Visa.

Disclaimer: The information provided is of a general nature and is not intended to be construed as legal advice

Hello,

I went to the States on a travel visa with my parents when I was 10 years old (year 2001).
I attended public elementary, middle schools and a charter school in California until my departure in 2006, before I turned 15.

Unfortunately, we were caught by the US border patrol one day when I was 13. They didn't take my fingerprints because I was under 14 at the time, but I'm sure my records are in the USCIS database. We had a court hearing in front of an immigration judge, and we decided to depart voluntarily. We left in 2006, before I turned 15. We never tried to re-enter the US since.

Ever since leaving the States, I came back to South Korea, and I've been in school, now studying engineering.
I graduate with a bachelor's degree next year (summer of 2014), and I want to pursue a PhD degree in the States.
I plan on paying for grad school with funding from the school.

My question is, will my application for F-1 visa be denied because of my record?
I've read that children are not held responsible for their parents' actions, but I want to make sure if getting a student visa is possible/impossible.

Is there any way to get a clear answer? (If so, who should I get in contact with at the embassy? because the call-center at the US embassy in Seoul couldn't give me a clear-cut answer.)