Overstay!

Hari_Om

Registered Users (C)
One of my friend's relative was in US in visitor visa for 6 months . He overstayed in US for 3 more months and went back to his home country recently. The question is how the USCIS know about the overstay?

I think by the I-94 card they left with airlines/immigration officials before boading the out bound plane.

There are many ways...

Hari_Om -

There are many ways for USCIS to determine if your friend's relative overstayed the visa.

1) I-94 "Arrival & Departure Record" - your friend's relative would probably had to surrender the stub upon checking in at the airport. This is stamped by Immigration Inspector at the port of entry upon arrival, and he/she would write the type of visa and how long the person is allowed to stay. This is one way for USCIS to track.

2) US VISIT System - your friend's relative had most likely had his/her fingerprint and picture taken by the Immigration Inspector upon arrival. This information is digitally stored in USCIS computer and am sure it also tracks when he/she was admitted to the U.S. and under what visa classification. Although I am not positive, I am pretty sure that the data can be accessed by those, who would review your friend's relative's file if he/she were to renew the visa or reapply for admission at the port of entry

He/she can definitely take a risk and try to enter the U.S. again but I got to say, the odds are stacked up against him/her.

Japanese

I'm afraid Japanese is right. I was a witness to a situation where a lady that over-stayed her visa 3 years ago was given a ticket to board a plane back home and did not get permition to get into the US. This is usually done at the secondary interview location, behind the USCIS officers' line at the POE.