Overstay Visa and Work

evilhoney

I came to the U.S. as F-1 student. Something has happened to my family and we lost everything. I couldn't afford my tuition and lost my F-1 status. I'm still in the U.S. and I want to have a job so I can at least have some money to live either in the U.S. or back in my home country. I still have my student ssn, which is for work only under DHS authorization. Can I apply for jobs in the U.S. with my ssn? Since the consequence is to lose my legal status and I have already lost it. And can I file taxes like other people do? Thank you.

Well, before you lost your F-1 status, you could have applied for EAD (work authorization) due to hardship reasons, which will allow you to work outside campus. Now, I am not sure what you can do. An SSN is not enough to work legally, you need an EAD. If you do get income somehow, yes under tax law you must file taxes.

I didn't have the money to apply for EAD (economic hardship) either. The process also takes a few month and I lost my status faster than that. Do employers ask for EAD? Or do they just ask for your social security number? I even have a tax payer number in my State since I used to work on campus. Thank you for helping!