Over stayed

Aamir memon

Hi ,
I was over stayed 2.5 years on my visitor visa back in 2003 . I went for registration and got the immigration court hearing in june2003 but i didnt show up and left usa at the same time, and came to canada. I applied for residency in canada .i m canadian citizen now and planning to visit a friend for a week do i still need a waiver since i served my 10 years bar? Or just drive or fly over to the US port of entry since i donot need a visit visa on my canadian passport.
Any advise please
Regards

Assuming you have no other bans besides the unlawful presence ban, you do not need a waiver because the ban is over. You can fly to the US and seek entry as a visitor without needing a visa since you are a Canadian citizen. Land entry to the US is currently still limited to essential travel, so flying is currently the only option for entering the US. You have to get a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of your flight. There is no guarantee that you will be allowed in as a visitor; as always, it will be at the discretion of the immigration officer, and negative history like past overstay increases the chances that you can be denied entry.

Keep in mind that you will have COVID-19 test and quarantine requirements when returning to Canada (by land or air).