Out of status for 6 mo.: New H1 stamping

easternseaboard

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

In spring 1999, I had already finished course requirements for my masters degree and so I only registered for one credit, not enough for full time status. This is in violation of the F-1 visa requirements. I found out later and consulted the School's international student's office. They recommended that I leave immediately. I graduated (I was done anyway), got admission to a PhD program in a different dept, got new I-20 and went back to India, got my new F-1 visa and returned without incident. Now, I have completed my PhD, and have my H-1B petition approved from my employer.

Will this period of having stayed in the US while out of status affect me if I went to one of the Border posts in Canada or Mexico?

I might need to travel out of the US on business and hence the rush. All the US consulates in India are booked into January 05.

I believe that if the stamping is very straightforward, I can go to the US consulate in the country that I am traveling on business to and get my Visa if I can state that there was a business need to do so. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,
Not that I am a lawyer but etting it stamped for bussiness sounds good as you are well covered. This out of status must have heppened a long back so I think u should be fine as u had a phd i-20 after that

hope this helps