Out of state conversion - NJ to MA convsrsion

njtoma

Recently I moved from NJ to MA. And I am facing problems in converting
my NJ driving licensce to MA. RMV, MA has refused to accpet my NJ driving
saying its temporary lic (cos NJ lic says "Temp Visa status valid until
xx-yy-zzzz" ) however my NJ licence doesnt say "provisonal" or "temporary". I was driving on this lic since Dec 2000.

I also contacted MVC, NJ and got my driving records and showed to RMV,
MA. But it is of no use. RMV, MA is acting like "mini-INS" and treating my "immigration status" on NJ driving license as my "driving license status". ha !!
RMV, MA is asking me to take written test and driving test because my NJ lic is "temp" !!!!!!!

So people be aware this problem of when you move in MA or move out from NJ. You or your friend will face this problem and someday it may hit YOU!!

lol...join the club my friend.

i moved from MA - CA, and had my Mass ID changed into a Cali one....man, the wait.....was...........l~~~~~o~~~~~~n~~~~~~g~~~~

1/2 yr~!!!!!

That's ok, you will get used to it.

Same here

I moved from NJ to NY. Same problem. These people are nuts. The reason they give is security and that this has been since 9/11. It makes me feel really unsecure after all this. How on earth will it be more secure by making a person who had drivers license for 4.5 yrs (no points) in one state to take a test again in another state.
And guess what, the lady at the counter says, "Why dont u continue extending ur license in NJ?". I guess that makes things secure here.

I woudnt be surprised if they ask all legal immigrants to wear a visible sign that indicates that he/she is a immigrant.