Our Crappy Stamping Experience in SF USCIS Office

k88

Registered Users (C)
This is my 13 year old son's stereotypes essay he wrote for English class:

I hate stereotypes; they cause pain, suffering, violence and many more undesirable effects. Unfortunately prejudice and stereotypes are part of human nature. I must admit like all people I have hurt people by being prejudice or bullied people based on stereotypes, also like all people I’ve been hurt by stereotypes

One example of how stereotypes have affected me is when we visited the USCIS, or the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Since I was born in China we had to sign and get fingerprinted to be adjusted to a United States permanent resident. Bright in the morning we prepared to go to San Francisco, where the main office is, we knew we were going to have stand in line so we brought a ton of quarters, about $20 worth. After the toil of standing in line they scanned us for metal objects and we were let in.

The building was DMV styled. They gave us the number D275, it was currently on D263 so we only waited inside for about 40 minutes. When our number was finally called we got to the counter and my dad took out his huge folder of files we needed and he put it on the surface.
“It’s not my responsibility to get this organized” The lady grunted without respect
My dad unwilling mumbled ok and continued removing and reconstituting the files from the folder.
“There are people waiting in line!”
Finally we got everything in the proper place and the lady started writing number on one of the files. When she was done on my file my parents noticed she wrote my moms on it, not mine, they noticed her of her mistake and she absolutely blew up. The lady slammed everything and completely disorganized the files and shuffled them up in her rage. We quickly reorganized everything again and she started everything again.

Five frustrating minutes of me giving her my evilest staring eyes possible she mumbled some words that I would rather not say.
“Ok you are all done, if you come again you better have everything together” She aggressively rumbled.
In my mind I assured myself that if I ever came again I’d never go to this booth, or at least I’d give her a good slapping. I also wanted to say “I’ll bet you make $6 an hour you blue collar hick” but that would be just more negative stereotypes.
“Thanks” My dad reluctantly responded and we were on our way home.

I felt this occurrence was based on stereotypes and prejudice because of the fact that many immigrants are seen on TV as secretly entering the US in the trunk of a car or they don’t speak the English language. They are always portrayed as useless to the American economy and unneeded and unwanted. The worker was propelled by these stereotypes and viewed everyone there as inferior. I’m still very mad at her and am on the verge of submitting a complaint to her supervisor. I hope others that day were treated better than our family.

K88,
It is indeed agonising. Also it is sad that this system stamps a negative impact on your son at this early age. Hey but think positive! Wait and see that he is going to be a good lawyer!! I bet!

I don't think it was a stereotype. I got the same treatment from the Miami office, even from the supervisor. Being Canadian, I have no accent, and no visible traits to be considered a moniority, and I got the same treatment you got. The difference is, I pushed back on them to answer for their incompetence. Basically these officers do not want to do thier job.

I too had bad experience at SF. Had to wait for around 2 hrs or may be more. The lady distributing the token had given me walk-in token (at that time walk-in was allowed) instead of appointment one. Hence the delay. Had to go out 3/4 times to feed the meter.

I thought they have improved. Looks like they will never improve.

-novis

I don't like USCIS for many reasons but here are some points regarding your 13 year old essay:

First of all I don't see which part of this bad experience has anything to do with stereotype or prejudice. An example of a stereotype would be the affirmation that "people born in China" are bad drivers. You might want to treat that subject instead, is more related to the homework.
Second, I also went to to SF office for stamping little more than one month ago and I had an extremely good experience. I had all my papers in order. When I got there I asked the lady at the counter what documents she needs first. I gave her the doc in the order she asked for and I was done with stamping in LESS THAN 5 MINUTES. After that I asked if she can help me to see what happened with my spouse's app (which at that time was still not approved). She was EXTREMELY helpful and even went the extra mile to find my spouse's A# (which I didn't know) based on the name. I couldn't ask for more.
Third: About half of the "blue collar hicks" working in that office, that you bet they make $6/hour were "born in China". Yes, just like in the USPS stores. BTW, government jobs are VERY good, for what you have to do they pay ok, you don't loose your job unless you die, you don't pay social security tax, but when you retire you get much more than non-gov workers, tons of vacation days per year and sick days on top of that and have the best health insurance policies.
Fourth: You were fingerprinted and you had to sign because that information (called bio data) goes on your PR card and not because "you were born in China". Everybody has to do that.
Fifth: Half a block from the service center is a HUGE multilevel parking lot which cost me $5 when I went for stamping. No need for quarters ...

GG

Note: this is me not my dad

First: I must not of seen the "huge multilevel parking lot" :eek: cause the nearest lot (1 block) cost $9 per half hour.

Second: Also I wrote the essay because specifically this was what we were studying in class, my teacher bought it and thats good enough. What do you expect from me anyways? Could your child do better? Do you know what exageration and sarcasticness is?

The reason we posted this is less the fact that I feel stereotyped then the fact that I'm maddened by how we were treated.

k88 said:
When our number was finally called we got to the counter and my dad took out his huge folder of files we needed and he put it on the surface.

I am curious, what is that "huge folder". I think only passport, I-94 and approval letter are required.

k88 said:
The lady slammed everything and completely disorganized the files and shuffled them up in her rage.

Certainly you can complain about this point. She can refuse to accept the folder, she had no business to slam or disorganize your folder.

mango_pickle said:
You generally also submit EADs and APs. They asked for it, though not in the approval letter.

That makes two more documents (not mandatory though) - does not "huge folder" yet.