Ottawa H1 Experience Oct 2nd - Non US degree

softcrowd

Registered Users (C)
I am done with my H1 Revalidation stamping in Ottawa, Canada on Oct 2nd. Here is a quick summary of my profile:

1) No US degree
2) My non-computer science degree (Mechanical Engineering Bachelors)
3) Had earlier 2 h1 stampings from Chennai, India & No VISA rejections so far.
4) My previous 2 H1s are from a big global IT company & but my current employer is a small desi consulting company (I was nervous of this a bit).

US VISA interview:
==================

I was asked the following questions in the same order

1) How long have you been in USA
2) How long have you been with the current employer? (Its just 6 months in my case)
3) Where is your I-94 card (I said, I surreneded it in US before boarding the flight...he said, thats good)
4) Show me your LCA, I-129 (the gave the whole bundle that I recieved along with H1 approval..he just scanned through)
5) Can I show your employment letter & a couple of recent paystubs?? (I handed over last 4 paystubs & said I have more...he said 4 are just fine...)

Till this point, my interview was like a breeze....Then he shooted the unexpected question (i was not prepared at all) -->

(6)Why are your paystubs have more amount than whats quoted in the employment letter??? (I stumbled. My employment letter says a number as anual salary but paystubs show a veri higher number...as I get pay for extra hours and all. I said thats the overtime-bonus & performance bonus. He did not seem to be convinced. He said but its almost 80% more than whats in the employment letter....and after a couple of minutes of real scary pause, he asked me to pay the fee).

I collected the passport @ 3 PM next day.

About I-94: I had this question on where to give the I-94s. Looks like there is no hard rule about this when you are travelling to Canada. ideally, we have to return it before leaving US. I spoke to the airline agent before boarding the flight to Ottawa and he asked me to hand over I-94. So I gave the orignal card & also torn off the I-94 extension I got with my I-797 (in the lower right corner) and handed over to him.

You can ask if you have any questions.

I have dependent for while I fill details in nvars.com, where confirmation package does not have any reference to My dependent's name or passport. Am I missing here something or Am I all set?

Really appreciate your help.

Can you please answer some questions

Hi
congrats on your stamping.I have an appointment on 11th at ottawa.
Is there a parking near the embassy?

In the interview, do you stand at the counter or sit in a chair?.

Are there lot of people standing behind you when you were talking to the visa officer?

Are the officers or other employees talking nicely or are they rude?.

I am driving from detroit to ottawa.Should i surrender my I-94 at the border while leaving?.

How did you give your documents to the officer in the interview when he asked?. I mean did you find them easily or you had to search in a bunch of papers and fumbled?

I am trying to organize everything in a transparent folder.

Apreciate if you can answer the questions... :)