Originals in P3 ?

HarryPatta

Registered Users (C)
Under the new rules what originals (or certified copies issued by the same authority) would need to be sent to NVC ?

Seems rather dicey if you have to send originals of marriage/birth cert etc. and could be a major deterrent for CP

Agreed.

Wondering why the NVC is doing this? Totally contradict to the common sense provided that initial filing goes to a St. Louis P.O.Box and applicants can always present originals to the consulate officer. And also they are not liable for any loss.

Increased Scrutiny?

Although the idea of centralized application processing has been in the works for a while, requiring originals is certainly a new twist. Even in the case of Montreal, a consulate for which NVC has always processed applications, photocopies were accepted till November. One possible explanation is that after 9/11, Department of State decided to increase the scrutiny of all applications. Photocopies create a potential for document alteration; by reviewing originals, NVC may be ensuring the genuineness of the documents. (As to why an employment based applicant would alter birth / marriage certificates is completely beyond me! If someone intends to falsify information, won’t they simply produce a fake certificate instead of tampering with the original? )

Why don’t they delegate this document verification task to the officer at the consular post? For one, if NVC is processing your application, the review has to be complete before they request a visa number. A visa number cannot be issued if document verification is pending.

If NVC is going to do all the work, what is the purpose of the consular interview? Read the following response that I posted some time ago:
gcDrone "I talked with NVC regarding changes effective from Jan2" 12/27/01 9:45am

Finally, check your instructions to see if NVC is requiring you to send originals / certified copies. Instructions can be different for different people. As an aside, it may be a good idea to procure a certified copy of the issuing agency when you obtain the original. It may cost more, but will certainly buy you some peace of mind.

Exactly.

BTW, do you know where I can get info on the new procedures? Any websites to go?