original or copy

jumhu

Registered Users (C)
For evidence like recommendation letters,award certificate,do you use original or copy?
Thanks,

No Title

For letters of recommendation, I don\'t see any other way but the original. Other documentation should obviously be submitted as copy, since INS does not return any document.

I agree

As I filed both EA and NIW petitions using the same letters, the original letters were sent with the former and notarized copies with the latter.

Reference letter

Even for the reference letter I am planning to send the photocopy. INS no longer requires original supporting documents except for I-140 Form and fees :).

are u sure?

Are you sure "INS no longer requires original supporting documents except for I-140 Form and fees :)."

Thanks.

Here\'s INS\'s original sentence

The INS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.

experienced guy?

Has any successful applicant used photo copied recommendation letters?
Can I go to a bank to notarize the photocopy?
Thanks,

Originals

The way I see it, if the INS is requesting photocopies, then provide them with photocopies. If they want to see originals, they will ask for them in an RFE. Brian.

Originals

The way I see it, if the INS is requesting photocopies, the provide them with photocopies. If they want to see originals, they will ask for them in an RFE. Brian.

No Title

Hi,leroythelion:
    Do you know where I can get copies notarized?
    Thanks,

I saw before

I once saw a post here saying he used photocopies and succeeded. The reason I want to use photocopies is that I am also planing to file another case and use the same references. INS doesn\'t explicitly say it wants the original, so you don\'t need to provide your original ones.

Notarize

That depends on the State you live in. A lot of Notary Public\'s here in New York won\'t do it, although some do. They tell me I have to go to my county clerk\'s office to get a photocopy notarized as "Copy". I\'ve had to do this for non-immigration related stuff. Personally, my attorney notarized my letter copies. Brian.

You can notarize things everywhere

Hi,
   I am at a University and there are numerous notary publics
available, in every building and every office...They are all
glad to do whatever I ask them to...In one case, I forgot to
bring my drivers\' license, she gladly notarized a copy of it...
I guess, westerners are just nice...And if you pause a minute
to think, what is significance of notarization? It put another level
of trust to the documents you are sumbitting...It is always good to
notarize if you don\'t submit original copies...

every office?

Hi, Denverer:
    I have been in university five years. I have not noticed any office which can do notarization in campus. Any clue? International office? Register office? When they notarize for you, do they need a seal? If so, I would think most offices do not have this kind of authorization. Thanks.

Offices...

Hi,
    Yes, I am sure the registrar\'s office has a notary public,
you just need to go ask. They do have a steel seal...But those are
the details...I don\'t see why they don\'t want to notarize things for you...maybe you need to show them the student ID, even an old one will
work...