Online J1 Waiver Application

dheeraj212

Registered Users (C)
Hi All

I have a question abt online j1 waiver application. What exactly is the process?.....I filled up a couple of pages, but then wasn't sure if I was doin right, so quit. Actually, at this time I m still waiting 'No Objection' Certificate frm my Home country. So I wanna know, how shld I proceed?

If I fill up 3 or 4 pages, can I save those?.....Case no. is given instantly or takes some time?... and All other informtion abt it.

''NowReadyToHelp'', JK0274 and all other members have been participating actively in sharing information. Thanks to everyone for that.

DJ

What were the points where you were having difficulty? Please feel free to point it out.

If you have qualms with the online application, you may want to consider just doing the paper application instead (fill out the data sheet with copies of everything required and send it with 2 stamped self-addressed envelopes).

Lastly, you say that your embassy is working on your no objection statement, but you don't have a case number yet. The embassy cannot send the DOS their statement without a case number unless you ask the embassy to send everything else (your data sheet and copies of your passport, etc) straight to DOS.

Please clarify why you felt you were not doing it right...

Not sure why you should have any problems with the online process, it is very straightforward. But like the previous reply stated, let us know what part confused you and we’ll try to assist.

Other wise the process goes like this:
1. First make sure you have the following before you start:
a. Passport info + VISA stamps info (the very first VISA and entry stamp)
b. I-94
c. All previous IAP66/DS2019
d. A statement of reason (write one before you start the online process). In it, you should state why you want a waiver. Be honest, clear, and convincing. There are few posts here that give info about this statement of reason and what to say (search the forum). You can edit it in a word processing program then copy and paste it to the proper online step. Not too short but not too long also.

2. When all your paper is handy, follow the detailed instructions on each online page/step. Mainly filling forms, and listing all your J1 program number, funding amounts, dates, I94 number, VISA numbers, etc…

When that is all done, you’ll be given a chance to correct/review your application. Once you approve every thing, the system (DOS) will generate a large PDF file for you with a case number. The PDF file contains the filled form DS3035 (based on your answers during the online process) + The statement of reason you created + a Barcode page that you’ll send back to DOS with the rest of your application + A barcode page you’ll send to your Embassy (with detailed instructions to the Embassy on how to send the No Objection letter to DOS). Print every thing (make two copies one for your record) and save the DPF file.

Except for the Embassy barcode page, you’ll have to send every thing back to DOS (follow the instructions on the first printout page). This should include copies of your passport data page, copies of your DS2019/AIP66 + Fees + the printout of the PDF file (minus the Embassy barcode page) + 2 SASE envelopes (Self Addressed Stamped Envelopes) + Any extra evidence or whatever you wish the review division to know (There should be a question about this during the online process. The system will ask you if you plan to send extra info to DOS). Send the Embassy barcode page to your embassy and ask them to do the following:

Send an envelope containing the following to DOS address listed on the barcode page
1. Letter of No Objection
2. Barcode page
They should write your case number on the letter of no objection and on the lower right corner of the envelope being sent to DOS.

When you’re done sit back, relax, and wait. Do not check your case number the next morning or next week. Wait few weeks. It seems DOS takes few weeks to update your case number.

Good luck,

dheeraj212 said:
Hi All

I have a question abt online j1 waiver application. What exactly is the process?.....I filled up a couple of pages, but then wasn't sure if I was doin right, so quit. Actually, at this time I m still waiting 'No Objection' Certificate frm my Home country. So I wanna know, how shld I proceed?

If I fill up 3 or 4 pages, can I save those?.....Case no. is given instantly or takes some time?... and All other informtion abt it.

''NowReadyToHelp'', JK0274 and all other members have been participating actively in sharing information. Thanks to everyone for that.

DJ

Online Application

Not my embassy, but my home country government is working on No Objection Certificate. They will send those documents here and then I will have to send them to Embassy with a case no.

Those documents can arrive here any time. So I think I shld start working on getting a case no.

My main concern is ''Statement of Reason''. I would appreciate if you guys could help me preparing that. Little summary abt me and my J1 program is as follows:

I am frm India. I studied for my PG Diploma in Hospitality Management from a University in Scotland and from there I was recruited to this hotel on J1 here. My education in Scotland wasn't sponsored by any public or private org., neither my j1 program. Its a paid program

I hope u guys can help me preparing statement of reason using this information.

Thanks

DJ

dheeraj212 said:
Not my embassy, but my home country government is working on No Objection Certificate. They will send those documents here and then I will have to send them to Embassy with a case no.

Those documents can arrive here any time. So I think I shld start working on getting a case no.

My main concern is ''Statement of Reason''. I would appreciate if you guys could help me preparing that. Little summary abt me and my J1 program is as follows:

I am frm India. I studied for my PG Diploma in Hospitality Management from a University in Scotland and from there I was recruited to this hotel on J1 here. My education in Scotland wasn't sponsored by any public or private org., neither my j1 program. Its a paid program

Thanks

DJ

I'm not sure why your government would send the letter of no objection to you, then you forward it to your Embassy, which send it to DOS-Seems to convoluted and not a standard procedure (but may be that’s how it works in your case ?). The Third Party Barcode Page (Embassy barcode page) has detailed instructions on how to do this -see below:
As to the statement of reasons do a search on this forum, but keep this in mind:
- Since your money was private your case should be easy
- Tell them why you want a waiver and why you're going back on your promises (since you signed the DS2019/AIP-66 forms promising to transfer whatever you learned back to your country-purpose of the J1 program). Keep the objectives of your particular J1 program in perspective (should be listed on your IAP-66/DOS2019 forms) when drafting this statement. The bottom line is, convince whoever reviews your application that there are good reason for you not to want to fulfill the 2 year foreign residence requirement.

This is what the Embassy barcode page states:
----- Start -------
TO THE EXCHANGE VISITOR'S EMBASSY:
1) Please return this page (the Third Party Barcode Page) and the documents listed below to the Department of State at the address below:
U.S Department of State
CA/VO/L/W, Visa Services
2401 E Street, NW, (SA-1)
Washington, DC 20522-0106
2) The "no objection" statement requested by the exchange visitor must state that the visitor's government has no objection to the applicant
a)not returning to the home country to satisfy the two-year foreign residence
requirement and
b)remaining in the U.S. if he or she chooses.
The "no objection" statement must be on Embassy letterhead and stationery. It must be sentdirectly from the Embassy in Washington, DC.
When the "no objection" statement originates from the exchange visitor's government in thehome country, that government must forward it directly to the American Consul at the U.S.Embassy or Consulate, which in turn will transmit the statement to the Waiver ReviewDivision, Visa Services.
Please print the waiver applicant's case file number on both the statement and on the LOWER RIGHT of the envelope. Not including this information could result in correspondencebeing misrouted and may delay the processing of the application.

--- END -----

dheeraj212 said:

Thanks

DJ

NewReadyToHelp said:
I'm not sure why your government would send the letter of no objection to you, then you forward it to your Embassy, which send it to DOS-Seems to convoluted and not a standard procedure (but may be that’s how it works in your case ?).

For India, the normal procedure to get a no objection letter is to request s series of documents from authorities from one's home state in India. These documents are then forwarded to the Embassy of India in DC along with an application for a no objection waiver. dheeraj212 is not actually getting the No Objection from India, but only getting the standard materials he needs to apply (something known as NORI). Details can be found here for your further info:
http://www.indianembassy.org/consular/nori.pdf

(note, I'm not Indian, but this is what I understood from others' posts)

Well, thats true. Those documents are frm 3 different Govt departments in India which Indian Embassy needs to see before issuing a ''Waiver Certificate'' to be sent to DoS.

What exactly is ''Passport Data Page'' as mentioned by ''NewReadyToHelp''?

The passport data page is just the page on your passport that contains your photo, name, and all of that stuff. This is sent along with a copy of your J-1 visa (or visas, if you had more than one issued because of renewal) and I-94 card.

You really need not send copies of your VISA stamp. You only need the number of your very first J1 VISA if available[*] to be entered online (Form DS3035).

And by the way there is no 'save session' on the online process. You either see it through (till the end) or loose every thing.

dheeraj212 said:
Hi All

DJ

Application Done

I did waiver application today and printed it out. I m still waiting for no objection documents from India, so I cant send barcode page to embasssy till I get those.

Should I send DS3035 and other documents to DoS now? or I shld wait for those documents to arrive from India?

response

I doesn't hurt to send the documents now. As long as DOS receives the fees, they will open your case and keep it open until all items are received. It usually takes a couple of weeks for the DOS to process your application and place your case status online, so it may help to do it early, especially if you expect to receive the NORI materials soon, so that by the time you send your stuff to the embassy, your case will already be online.

Last edited by a moderator: