Online application for extension of stay - i539

vijetasah

Hi,

Has anyone applied online for extension of stay on B2 visa - form i539. I can see that we can apply and pay online and no need to send any paper docs but for some reason I can't find anyone who has applied online.
Please let me know your experience if you have applied online.

Thanks!

You're aware that i539s have been taking about 4 months to get processed, and the implications for your visa if you wait past your original allowed stay but are later denied the extension?

You're aware that i539s have been taking about 4 months to get processed, and the implications for your visa if you wait past your original allowed stay but are later denied the extension?

It's for OP's mom, OP herself is on an H1b. She was advised on the implications on the b2 extension in a previous thread, and also by the attorney in his community conference call where she had posted a query.

I539 approval likely to be a challenge imo, considering the mom came back in February after having left the US two months prior in December. And now seeking an additional 4 months.

Ah,I didn’t check post history. Well, she was forewarned... I guess the next one will be about how to get a new visa after revocation. Or maybe OP will have moved back to home country by then and it won’t matter?

Dont do it. If you are living more in USA than your home country in B1/B2 visa. lets say if you stay 9 months in US and 3 months in home coutnry, then you are visitor in your own country, and you visa may be cancelled. I have seen cancelled. Extensions are taking 6 months or so its worthless to ask for extension.

extension to stay applications can be submitted online or through paper (online applications are faster). in case of parents, children, spouses, inland/outland sponsorship, awaiting PR, willing to get married, to spend more time with family members etc are rarely refused. the application of extension is made atleast 30 days before the expiry of the visitor status of a person. if your visitor status/visa/allowed time expires you cannot file an extension application. so you must be with a valid status to make such application. if status is expired then you have to apply for "restoration of status"

On approval the person gets a visitor record ( a document mailed to his home address) which is valid for the requested time or usually for the next 6 months. when someone leaves canada his visitor status or visitor record expires.