One173 day trip after first time arriving to US - will it affect?

milochchka

Good day guys,
Have one important question which is torturing me:

I received a green card in March 2017, arrived for 8 days (stayed at father's house and it was my first residency and applied for SSN) and then left the US because needed to complete my graduation in university. I stayed abroad 5.5 months (173 days), evaluated my diploma and then returned to the United States in September 2017.
After that I changed my residency, created bank account, found job, etc. In March 2018 I had a trip for 2 weeks, then in August 2018 for 1 month, and 3 more times in 2019 and 2021 for 1 month, the total absence for all 5 years is about 10 months.
According to the 90-day rule, I can apply for citizenship in December 2021, but lately I have been plagued by doubts whether it is worth doing or is it better to wait until 5 years have passed since my longest trip (174 days). Although, in theory, the trip was less than 180 days, wouldn't this be a reason for refusal? Or it's better to discuss with an attorney.

Based on my experience, this shouldn't be a problem. My N400 was recently approved at interview and I had a 626-day absence (!) immediately after becoming a permanent resident (which did break the continuity of my residence, but I had a reentry permit, so I was allowed back into the US without any issues), and a 142-day absence after filing the N400. If you file online, the application form won't let you submit if you don't meet the residency requirements and if your interviewer raises it as an issue, just politely point out that you were outside the US for less than 180 days, so there's no presumption that you broke continuous residency.

If you're really worried though, why not just wait another 6 months to file your application?

Based on my experience, this shouldn't be a problem. My N400 was recently approved at interview and I had a 626-day absence (!) immediately after becoming a permanent resident (which did break the continuity of my residence, but I had a reentry permit, so I was allowed back into the US without any issues), and a 142-day absence after filing the N400. If you file online, the application form won't let you submit if you don't meet the residency requirements and if your interviewer raises it as an issue, just politely point out that you were outside the US for less than 180 days, so there's no presumption that you broke continuous residency.

If you're really worried though, why not just wait another 6 months to file your application?
Thank you! I will try to apply, hopefully this should not be an issue.
Were you waiting after your 626 day absence period pass to apply?

Were you waiting after your 626 day absence period pass to apply?
That was right at the start of my immigration process. I waited until more than 4 years and 6 months had passed after I'd returned to the US from that 626-day absence to apply to naturalize. We discussed why I was out of the country for so long during my interview, but since I'd had a reentry permit, it wasn't a problem.