One sponsor is not enough

Sommerbeam

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I recently got married to a US citizen. My husband is my sponsor but he started working last August and before that he was a student. According to his Federal tax income he doesn't make the minimum needed to sponsor me. But now he makes more than enough and we can prove that with his employment paper. I tried to find another sponsor but no luck.

Please, tell me what to do. Can I file all the papers without another sponsor, writing them a letter and explaining the situation?

Thank you in advance.

Sommerbeam said:
Hi everyone,

I recently got married to a US citizen. My husband is my sponsor but he started working last August and before that he was a student. According to his Federal tax income he doesn't make the minimum needed to sponsor me. But now he makes more than enough and we can prove that with his employment paper. I tried to find another sponsor but no luck.

Please, tell me what to do. Can I file all the papers without another sponsor, writing them a letter and explaining the situation?

Thank you in advance.

May be you can file without any co-sponser. However, keep one lined up while you go for interview.

I had the same prob. I do have co-sponsors, but did not use them. My husband started working last Sept, and befpre that he was a student..so his income was not above 125%. But his income right now is more than enuf..so i just submitted the affidavit of support with his last 3 yrs of tax returns plus current employment offer letter..but during the interview we'll have another year of tax return..plus the co-sponsors' docs!

Hi Meers..i have question for you..you said your spouse was a student so how did he file for 3yr tax returns? as my spouse was a student and he doesn't have past 3yrs tax returs..so he shud still file for tax returns or not?
thanks.

RANE2202 said:
Hi Meers..i have question for you..you said your spouse was a student so how did he file for 3yr tax returns? as my spouse was a student and he doesn't have past 3yrs tax returs..so he shud still file for tax returns or not?
thanks.

he started working last sept., so he did have some income for yr 2004. For 2003, as a student he did do some work helping his grandfather, but his income was above 125%. For 2002, we just provided an explanation that as a studnet he did not have any income and hence does not have an income tax return."

That helps..thank you.Do we have to just write an explanation letter to USCIS and send it with application?.

RANE2202 said:
That helps..thank you.Do we have to just write an explanation letter to USCIS and send it with application?.

yeah thats what we did..just one page with 2-3 lines explaining why there's no third yr tax return along with the application.

hope that helps!