on HI about to marry a citizen

nazim

Registered Users (C)
Hi friends I am currently on H1 and have married a US citizen last week. I would like to quit my Job to be able to study for USMLE (I have done MBBS in India.) My current job is not as a Doctor. My husband will file for my GC as soon as our marriage licence is received.Please let me know if I can resign from my current job as soon as he files for my GC?

Last edited by a moderator:
U can quit ur job and do according to ur wish

As u are married to citizen u will be getting ur GC with in 2 or 3 months.
Mean while u can start ur Exam preparations.
All the Best

Mahi

Dangerous Nonsense

> As u are married to citizen u will be getting ur GC with in 2
> or 3 months.
> Mean while u can start ur Exam preparations.
> All the Best

The moment you quit your job, you put your visa status in jeopardy. Adjusting your status to permanent resident is much more difficult if you have accrued unlawful presence. While there is an exemption for GC's through marriage, the increased paperwork hassle is not worth it.

The original posting is almost 2 years old, so the OP probably won't be harmed by this nonsense. But for anyone else reading this:

ONLY RARELY, you will get your GC after marriage in 2-3 months. Even then, getting your GC while having legal H1 status is much easier than getting your GC after violating your visa.

DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB ! (until you have filed form I485 and obtained a receipt notice)

Last edited by a moderator: