Official Inquiry process

snafu

Registered Users (C)
Finally, the processing date has moved to 2004!

But my I-140 approval hasn't come through. My I-140 receipt date is 12/22/2003. I'm aware that I can initiate an official inquiry into my case. To this end I called my attorney this afternoon. He asked me to fax him a signed letter asking him to initiate an inquiry. He said that he would follow up on this next monday. I duly faxed him the letter.

Now I have no idea what will happen next. How does USCIS respond to such inquiries? Do they just reply with the standard message - "The file is with an officer. We will let you know....."? Will they issue an RFE just for the heck of it? What is the general time frame for their response?

It would be great if people who have gone through this respond with their experiences. If an RFE is issued, what would it be? I can confidently rule out education qualifications. My company financials are ok (approx. 6 million). But the year they applied for the labor, they had shown losses ('desi' style). Couple of GC applications were rejected because of that. But other people received their approvals during the same time (go figure..).

I guess I have posted too many questions. Any input into this will be appreciated.

Hi Snafu,

I couldnt understand why your Attorney wanted a signed letter from you for making an enquiry in your 140. That is his job, I suppose he is getting paid for it, you are just the beneficiary. Legally, an enquiry from the Attorney or the Employer, makes more sense.

I made an enquiry thru the Senator and got RFE. I dont know whether they did for the heck of it, but from the trend the NSC is working, RFEs are more common than the approvals. I'm happy to get one and get my case under processing. I wish I had done it much earlier. The general time frame to respond is @ 90 days. I'm feeling impatient as my Attorney has not replied to the RFE in 9 days.

In case of RFE ........ well, it could be on anything ? I mean, NSC can even ask why do you think your case should be approved without RFE ? It is difficult to understand their way of working. I too didnt expect RFE on my education, experience, training, but that is exactly what I got. I hope that I dont get second RFE on the (desi) company who play with their (financial) figures and our lives.

To end, Snafu.......I think more questions does not harm, but more patience does.

Good luck.

DIGS

DIGS,

You are right. Sometimes you do have to 'jump the line'. I have waited patiently for my turn all these days. I should have just approached a senator.

There was a time when I wished for an RFE to hasten the process. Getting an RFE would mean that they are processing my case. Now I'm not so sure. My 7th year extension just started at the end of July. Had to shell out an additional $2000 for the H1 extn. I don't want that to go waste.

Good luck with your RFE. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Snafu
It is better for you to go through the senator right now.U will get an answer like in a week definetely either an RFE or an Approval

So it is better to contact a senator for help than enquiring
just my 2 cents

Digs
I contacted another senator in my area he get back to me in 2 two days saying he made an enquiry
then after 2 days he sent me another letter with the feedback from them like they are processing feb2004
But he gave me a contact number and name of the person who is dealing with the immigration issues in their office and told me he will follow up with uscis again

DIGS,

Can you post the letter you sent to your senator? I'm not sure of the general format used in communication with a senator.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Snafu,

Please check my thread, the link is http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=185418&page=2

Good luck.

Hi Kishore,

Very good to know that one of the Senators from your state has responded favorably, though not acted thoroughly. Atleast, s/he has given the contact person's information with a commitment to pursue enquiry in your case.

Good luck to you too.

With the USCIS year ending next month, wish more applicants from 2004 put pressure on NSC thru Attorneys and/or Senators to get justice.

DIGS

Hi! DIGS,

Thanks for the link. This is exactly what I was looking for. I did come across another sample letter but was not really satisfied with it.

BTW: I did not read your post (to this thread) completely before checking the link. While reading the letter, I realized that the style was pretty familiar until I reached the end and noticed that the letter was posted by you. I can safely say that I can recognize your style(of writing) anywhere! Its good and I like it.

Contact Phone Number -- Please help!!

Hi Digs,

Do you know what's the phone number the senator office should call regarding the inquiry?

My senator is asking me that the contact information for the Nebraska Service Center. I don't know which phone number to give him. Is this the same customer service phone number we are all using? If it is, I guess they will wait for a long time to get in then.

Thanks,

Pending 140

Hi Digs,
Thanks for the link,
My employer main office is in MA and My GC filled from Branch office,which is in IL but I am working in client place at VA. Which state Senator I have to contact. Please advise.

EB3(Concurrent)
LC PD: 06/19/2003 – Own Labor. (Retrogression affected)
I-140 ND: 01/14/2004
I-140 AD: ???
I-485 ND: 01/14/2004 FP: 05/29/2004 LUD: 06/01/2004
I-485 AD: ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Abhinav4 said:
Hi Digs,
Thanks for the link,
My employer main office is in MA and My GC filled from Branch office,which is in IL but I am working in client place at VA. Which state Senator I have to contact. Please advise.

EB3(Concurrent)
I-140 ND: 01/14/2004
I-485 ND: 01/14/2004 FP: 05/29/2004 LUD: 06/01/2004
Abhinav4,

Most of the senators usually accept requests from people residing in their constituency. Atleast that was the message I saw on the senator's web site that I was approaching. I'm in a similar situation. My company is based in MI and I had applied from MI but moved to Maryland this January. Therefore I approached the senators in MD instead of MI.

I hope I'm right in my assumptions. People who have gone through this situation should be able to shed more light on this.

Thanks for the information.I will contact VA senator.

snafu said:
Abhinav4,

Most of the senators usually accept requests from people residing in their constituency. Atleast that was the message I saw on the senator's web site that I was approaching. I'm in a similar situation. My company is based in MI and I had applied from MI but moved to Maryland this January. Therefore I approached the senators in MD instead of MI.

I hope I'm right in my assumptions. People who have gone through this situation should be able to shed more light on this.

Snafu,Abinav

Iam also from VA ,But my employer is in MI.I contacted senators in both states but VA senator is more helpful than the MI one.

Official Inquiry Phone Number

Hi Snafu,

Do you know which phone number to call for Senator to inquiry the case?

Thanks,

Official Inquiry process.

Kishore,
Did you contact Senator John Warner thru his web link 'http://warner.senate.gov/contact/contactme.cfm' ? or Did you call to his office ?
Please conform.

EB3
I-140 ND: 01/15/2004
I-485 ND: 01/15/2004 FP: 05/29/2004 LUD: 06/01/2004

kishore143 said:
Snafu,Abinav

Iam also from VA ,But my employer is in MI.I contacted senators in both states but VA senator is more helpful than the MI one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I'm away on a short vacation and not accessing the internet. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Hi Thereyet,

I had contacted my Senator thru his website. I suppose he may have used his official letter to enquire, I do not know of any other phone number that they may have direct access to. It is possible for their office to call the Director-NSC.

Hi Abhinav4,

It may be good to contact your IL and MA Senators. Even if VA clicks, it is fine.

Good luck guys.

DIGS

Thanks!

Hi Digs,

Thanks for all your help! I will ask my senator to send official inquiry letter then.

Senetor or Congressman ????

Thanks DIGS and Kishore.

DIGS : First I will try with VA Senator.
Kishore: Mr.Frank Wolf is not a senator, he is a VA 10th District Congressman.
We suppose to contact Senetor right?

Guys could you please shed more light on this?

kishore143 said:
I contacted Mr Wolf through his website and got a reply from his herndon offfcie in 2 days.

Got RFE

Hi Digs,

Got the RFE email notice today, don't know what's missing though. Will call USCIS to find out. But to me it's good news, it means at least the case is moving. Thanks for all your help.