oci form questions

donlogan

Registered Users (C)
I hope I'm not repeating any of these, I searched for answers w/out any lucky...

My details-I'm a naturalized US citizen. I was born in India. I will be applying for oci w/the embassy in washington,dc.

Here are the docs I plan on sending along w/the application forms, as per the embassy's website-

"Two independent sets of application, each containing: (i) application form (A & B), (ii) photocopy of foreign passport, (iii) photocopy of Indian passport , (iv)."

Do I have to get all of them notarised? There are no * before them but I'm assuming that these would require notarising.

On form A it asks for "previous nationality." Should I put India? If it's not required would I be better off leaving it blank?

Form A asks for "Passport No. and Date of Issue." Is this referring to the US passport or the Indian passport?

Last question is about form B, where your supposed to give info about family living in India. Would I only include immediate family members or extended family like aunts and uncles?

thanks in advance, this board has been really helpful in a very unnecessarily annoying process (it's not even an actual citizenship application!)

donlogan said:
I hope I'm not repeating any of these, I searched for answers w/out any lucky...

My details-I'm a naturalized US citizen. I was born in India. I will be applying for oci w/the embassy in washington,dc.

Here are the docs I plan on sending along w/the application forms, as per the embassy's website-

"Two independent sets of application, each containing: (i) application form (A & B), (ii) photocopy of foreign passport, (iii) photocopy of Indian passport , (iv)."

>> I even send 2 copies of my naturalization certificate as well.

Do I have to get all of them notarised? There are no * before them but I'm assuming that these would require notarising.

>> Check the general OIC thread compiled by mangal and others which
>> should address your question.

On form A it asks for "previous nationality." Should I put India? If it's not required would I be better off leaving it blank?

>> I think I should be India since you were Indian citizen until you
>> got naturalized in USA..

Form A asks for "Passport No. and Date of Issue." Is this referring to the US passport or the Indian passport?

>> Obviously US Passport since the Indian Passport stands automatically
>> invalid once one acquires US citizenship. It would be in your best
>> interest to send the Indian passport for cancellation ahead of your
>> OCI application.

Last question is about form B, where your supposed to give info about family living in India. Would I only include immediate family members or extended family like aunts and uncles?

>> I assume immediate is what is required here based on my interpretation
>> but I may be wrong..

thanks in advance, this board has been really helpful in a very unnecessarily annoying process (it's not even an actual citizenship application!)

thanks for the reply.

If I send in my Indian passport for cancellation, how am I supposed to make copies of it? I thought that once you send in your Indian passport for cancellation they keep it.

Correct Answers from Tdesai

I second all the responses from Tdesai. Yes, it is best to get PP cancelled before applying.

Also, Immidiate family members and if there are none, then go to the next immidiate. One person (or a couple) is enough.

sv2707 said:
I second all the responses from Tdesai. Yes, it is best to get PP cancelled before applying.

Also, Immidiate family members and if there are none, then go to the next immidiate. One person (or a couple) is enough.
I sent my Indian passport along with the OCI application for cancellation.

donlogan,

Since you will be applying to the DC embassy, you also have to send 3 additional photos along with your application set.
And obviously you have to send the casheir check / MO for OCI Fee + Return Fee.
I am sure your have read their web site for more details - http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/oci.asp

I simply self-attested ALL the photocopies. My app has at least been ack'd and is currently under process.

As for cancelling Indian passport - DC Embassy's web site clearly says NOT to send any original passports or documents with the application. So don't do that!

It also says that you can send your Indian passport for cancellation with your US passport when you send that for getting the OCI sticker.
So I would suggest you get your application in first then decide if you want to get your Indian passport cancelled while you wait for OCI, or send it in with US passport after OCI approval.

Oh, and do keep a copy of everything that you send, that way you won't be one of those unfortunate souls who dont even know their registration number.

And keep us updated!
:)

bayareaboy said:
Do i need 3 potographs or just 2 - each pasted on each of apllication forms ?

thanks
Every embassy / CGI has their own requirements for documents to be included with OCI app.
You seem to be under the jurisdiction of SFO (looks like that from your name) CGI. So go read up all the details on their web site http://www.cgisf.org/

But specifically for photos this is what they say (again, for SFO CGI only) -

(e) You must also submit TOTAL THREE (3) PASSPORT SIZE PHOTOGRAPHS IN COLOR FOR EACH APPLICANT with LIGHT BACKGROUND. THE PHOTOGRAPH MUST SHOW FULL FRONT VIEW OF THE PERSON’S HEAD AND SHOULDERS. Each photograph should be of (SIZE 2" inches X 2" inches). One ORIGINAL photograph must be pasted to each copy of your application. (DO NOT STAPLE the photograph)

i.e. Total photos = 3. Out of this, paste one on each copy of app.

Yes i am from SFO area.
Thanks alt for reply. I will send 3 photos in total for each applicant (2 pasted on forms and one loose).