OCI Eligibility?

user12102

Dear All;
I would like to know if my wife and Kids would be eligible for OCI
The details are as follows
I am Indian citizen ,Wife is canadian by birth(did not have indian citizenship at any point),her parents were Indian citizens earlier now they are canadian citizens.
My kids are US citizens .

Thanks in advance for ur response

Dear All;
I am Indian citizen ,Wife is canadian by birth(did not have indian citizenship at any point),her parents were Indian citizens earlier now they are canadian citizens.

I hope you have read the OCI eligibility clauses, e.g., http://www.cgisf.org/oc/oci_scheme.html

According to my reading, your wife and children are also eligible for OCI based on your wife's parents' previous Indian citizenship (4th bullet in 'Who is Eligible').

OCI eligibilty confusion

dear folks,

i was an Indian citizen (indian passport holder, but not born in india). i recently took up US citizenship through naturalization, i would like to know if i am eligible to apply for OCI.

on the website for eligibility it says:

* Children born outside India and whose parents are Indian passport holders are not eligible for OCI Cards.

* A foreign national, eligible to become a citizen of India on January 26, 1950 or was a citizen of India on, or at anytime after, January 26, 1950 or belonged to a territory that became part of India after August 15, 1947 and his/her children and grand children, provided his/her country of citizenship allows dual citizenship under the local laws, is eligible for registration as Overseas Citizen of India (OCI).

In my case, i was an Indian citizen(passport holder due to parents) but i am NOT born in india, am i still eligible?

thanks!

--josh

OCI eligibilty

Dear All;

were you able to get OCI for your kids?

OCI was denied to my son on the grounds that my wife had kept her Indian citizenship (i am a French citizen).
in order for my son to get an OCI, my wife was asked to provide a proof of renunciation of Indian citizenship.
otherwise, my son woudl only be eligible for PIO (just like me).

everywhere i looked on the web, i saw that OCI cannot be granted to a child if *both* parents were Indian citizens. but it seems that the rule is that OCI cannot be granted to a child if *either* parent is an Indian citizen...

were you told anything different?
thanks.

Xla
--

were you able to get OCI for your kids?

OCI was denied to my son on the grounds that my wife had kept her Indian citizenship (i am a French citizen).
in order for my son to get an OCI, my wife was asked to provide a proof of renunciation of Indian citizenship.
otherwise, my son woudl only be eligible for PIO (just like me).

everywhere i looked on the web, i saw that OCI cannot be granted to a child if *both* parents were Indian citizens. but it seems that the rule is that OCI cannot be granted to a child if *either* parent is an Indian citizen...

were you told anything different?
thanks.

Xla
--

Interesting but were you ever an Indian citizen?