Oath Ceremony question: accompanied child?

bongster

Hello all,

My wife and me are scheduled for the upcoming oath taking ceremony at San Francisco on the 23rd of January.

We have a 2.5 - year old son ... can anybody tell me if they will allow our son to come with us?

I know that visitors are allowed to watch the ceremony, but my question is different.

Since he's only a 2.5-year old, he can't stay by himself in the visitor's area -- will they allow him to come and sit with us?

Any responses, especially first hand experiences, will be much appreciated.

Thanks

I would guess yes. Even though the USCIS folks have officiousness running in their veins, they are pretty nice and accomodating during the oath ceremony (we stop being their customers at the end of the oath - they don't have to be a pain any longer).

A toddler sat on the knee of the woman beside me during my oath. I don't know if the woman asked for permission or just sat the child on her knee.

Don't forget, if you and your wife take the oath (and your child is an LPR and lives with you), he becomes a citizen during the ceremony as well - he should be allowed to be with you.

You can take a friend or another family member and your son can sit with them for an hour or so while you complete the oath...

Thank you both for your responses.

I would also love to hear from folks who actually might've taken their kid(s) with them to the ceremony...

Thanks

bongster said:
Thank you both for your responses.

I would also love to hear from folks who actually might've taken their kid(s) with them to the ceremony...

Thanks

I took my wife and she sat next to me during the ceremony at Baltimore DO. When it was her turn a month later, I took our newborn son. We would have sat together, but that time the ceremony was conducted in public at an "international festival" rather than in the DO, so we had no choice on (crappy) separate seating arrangements.

You might want to get an infopass and inquire about the arrangements in advance. Most times you can sit together, but sometimes oddities do happen...

I took my 2.5 year old son to my Oath Ceremony, granted my husband came with me and he wasn't taking the oath, so he was able to keep an eye on him, but there were also other kids there. I took my oath at Baltimore DO.