Oath Ceremony: Baltimore, MD

Al Southner

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

I am done with USCIS.:rolleyes: I had a ceremony this morning at 9am, and the entire process was just chaotic. We arrived there at 8:45am, sat in RM 101 which also handles info pass people. At 9am, the Sr. Officer came and directed us to the elevators, which took us to the 7th floor to a room called "naturalization room"...:p I would estimate about 45 people were naturalizing this morning. Naturalization candidates and their families sat together, they didn't separate people. The first order was an instruction on how to complete the N445 form, followed by a video presentation of the The Star-Spangled Banner. We were ask us to line up with our green cards and oath ceremony notification, to submit the N445 and the green card, which were quickly taken and the naturalization certificates shown to each candidate to verify that the data was correct. We were given an envelope, containing A Voter's Guide, Declaration of Independence, Citizen Almanac, Certificate Folder, Letter from President Obama, and the flag. We proceeded to sit down and watch a small video on what other naturalized candidates said about their naturalization and becoming US citizens. The judge we were told, was en route and he didn't show-up for about 10-15 minutes. When he finally showed up, was about 9:50 or so, nice gentleman wearing a "judgy robe". He gave us a short speech about the importance of being citizens, implored us to consider serving in area of national security importance and our government really need us. He proceeded to ask us to stand and take Oath of Allegiance. All naturalization candidates stood to their feet (what else would they stand on?), except that 90% of the people were still 1/2 asleep and no cheering or waiving of the flags, pretty early to be a patriot already, I thought quietly. As soon as we finished the Oath, we were congratulated and the Judge was on his way. The Sr. Officer took the podium and ask us to all stand, so we can pledge our loyalty to the flag, it was at the time the flag decided to flee the venue, by doing back flips through the window and all way down to the garden. However, we continue reciting until we were all done. It was at that time, they started handing out the certificates to all candidates, your name was called and you went forward received the certificate. Observation, we had candidates who received their naturalization certificates with the original photos which they initially mailed in with their application, and those who had a digitized photo taken at the ASC during finger printing. I have a digitized photo and except it is a little dark, due to poor lighting, not a big deal. People were implored to check again, that the information contained there was correct and if changes needed to be made, immediately inform the officers there. After handing out the certificate, people stood and started taking pictures and celebrating with each other. Unfortunately, one guy didn't bother to bathe or iron his clothes, because lack of hygiene is not a dis-qualifier but he looked happy to be done, I implored him to consult his shower in a celebratory mode too...:D

Overall, nothing to write home about, far from memorable due to poor organizational skills displayed there this morning. I am glad I left my Nana at home, she would have gone crazy at the inefficiencies there. As for how to sign your naturalization certificate, we were told that it has to be legible, not your check signature. By 10:15am we were done and my wife and I were headed to our car. I celebrated by going at 120mph on I-95, which helped me cover 27 miles in 10 minutes. I am an American now, you can throw me out or judge my morals....yupppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....;)

Vid,

I don't drink any alcohol, I intend to be a Rabbi when I turn 55.... I will be looking out for DUI people when returning from dinner with my family tonight. Thanks for the wishes.