Oath and Mexico trip in 4 weeks

desi_2004

Registered Users (C)
All,

I will be attending the oath ceremony on June 2nd (Dallas DO). We have a vacation scheduled starting June 30th in Cancun Mexico.

Should I just go to Mexico with the Naturalization certificate - or - do you think 4 weeks is enough for me to apply and get the passport using normal methods (no expedite)? I do not want to spend $60*2 (for me/spouse) to expedite.

From what I hear, the administration says 6 weeks, but it takes much lesser. If there is any risk, I would just as well take the naturalization cert.

Thanks

desi_2004

desi_2004 said:
All,

I will be attending the oath ceremony on June 2nd (Dallas DO). We have a vacation scheduled starting June 30th in Cancun Mexico.

Should I just go to Mexico with the Naturalization certificate - or - do you think 4 weeks is enough for me to apply and get the passport using normal methods (no expedite)? I do not want to spend $60*2 (for me/spouse) to expedite.

From what I hear, the administration says 6 weeks, but it takes much lesser. If there is any risk, I would just as well take the naturalization cert.

Thanks

desi_2004

I applied for my passport on 4/25/05 (had my oath on 4/22/05). I applied at a post office with regular service. I just got my passport today (5/31/05). It says was issued on 5/25/05. When I called them last week to get a status for the passport application, I was told I would get my passport by end of next week (6 wks). I guess it would be a judgement call for you to make if you want to use regular service and take a chance on not getting passport back on time or spend the extra money to get it back sooner or take a piece of paper (nat cert) to Mexico where it could get lost and you have no proof that you are a US citizen. However as far as I know, you dont yet need a passport to travel to Mexico yet if you stay less than 30 days. Correct me if I am wrong. I know having the passport at hand would be peace of mind issue for me.
Good luck

There are faster ways of obtaining a passport that you could look into at the State Dept. website.