NSC Plastic taking 18 months!

Kalpana Kar

Passport stamped St.Louis 7/24/01; still no plastic.

Just got off the phone (finally got the line after trying everyday for over 1 month) talking to an immigration officer at NSC. He said that NSC is sooo backed up that making Plastic ( just laminating the photo & signature and scanning into their system my signature!!) is taking the 12 to 18 months. He added that if the stamp on the passport expires before receiving the card then just before expiry we need to go to local INS office to get restamped/temporary card. Also he answered to my query about changing residence in the meanwhile that I need to write to "US Dept of Justice, INS, NSC, PO - 82521, Lincoln, NE - 68501-2521" including name & A# and new residence address (and added that to make sure it "gets through" followup with another repeat letter one month later!; so backed up they are !!!)

Imagine that!

It could be less

I have seen in this forum, people obtained the plastic card around 6-8 months from NSC.
It is quite difficult to generalize. My friend got hers in 6 months, her husband still has no news.

What\'s the reason? I really don\'t know. I guess that having the plastic card is much less important than having the 485 approved.

Just try to remember when you waited for the 485-approval! The plastic card was really a non-issue. I don\'t really mind that NSC devote efforts to the 485 rather than the plastic.

And this, despite the fact that I want my plastic card case settled