Not ok to travel on reentry permit instead of passport?

NYCMan

Registered Users (C)
Hello, I am cross-posting on another branch, since I have a greencard.

I have a greencard as a result of political asylum grant about 8-9 years ago.

A couple of days ago I was re-entrering the US with a greencard and reentry permit. The officer told me she wanted to see my national passport, and that reentry permit is not a passport. I am originally an asylee from Ukraine, and for those who know it's impossible to get a passport from their consulate. I told her I could not get the passport, and she said I have to go to consulate in Washington and to get one, and then she typed the note into my file, and told me she notated my file to that affect. What she wrote I am not sure though. I thought this would only make sense that I would not be willing to get a passport from the country of persecution, but the last thing I wanted to do was to argue with the INS officer.

I am concerned, as I don't know what she put into my file, but presume it is a note that next time I travel I must have the passport (?). Does this mean I can't travel on my reentry permit (?) any more, and will have problem reentereing next time with the note on my file (?).

The only way for me to get the passport is to go back to Ukraine on a one-way letter. And this is the last thing I am willing to do, i.e. there is no way I am going back to that country.

If anyone has had similar experiences or suggestions please advice. I was thinking to call INS but I probably wont get to talk to a person who can clarify this for me.... Thanks everyone.

Rtd

My understanding is that you need to have your Refugee Travel Document along with your Green card. This RTD serves as a passport for the asylees who are not suppose to renew their passport from their country of persecution.