Northwest Indiana Oath question

itismejose

Registered Users (C)
I am a resident of northwest Indiana. I passed my citizenship test December 19, 2007 in Chicago. They said I'd get the oath letter within eight weeks. I haven't yet received it, but it's closing in on eight weeks now and I'm getting just a little worried.
What I'd like to know is if anyone has any idea where I'll be taking the oath. They do have oath ceremonies in Hammond Indiana which is just three miles or so north of me. I had called the courthouse and asked them for the oath schedule and was told that they don't have a schedule, they just fit in the oath ceremonies when there are enough people to take it.
I've been following these boards for awhile and was just able to post now, but I'd like to take the time to thank all of you, along with the webmaster for all the incredibly helpful information that was so beneficial. Thank you, thank you, thank you all!!!

Don't go by what the IO tells you. Mine told me Dec/Jan and I just got my Oath Notice for March.
Just hang in there. Maybe instead of calling the 1-800 # call your DO and speak to your IO and see what is going on. That is what I did. She told me March/April and wham she was right.

Also, I forgot to add. She told me I would take my Oath at the some court in KC and when I got my Oath Letter it said US District Court in Topeka, KS which is right in the middle from me and KC

DO Contact..

Also, I forgot to add. She told me I would take my Oath at the some court in KC and when I got my Oath Letter it said US District Court in Topeka, KS which is right in the middle from me and KC

Lady Bug…Congratulations for ur oath letter. Do u mind telling us how did u contact ur district office IO..?? I’m in Chicago and I would love to talk to some one in that office..

PM me and I will tell you how ! I posted it a little while ago and we all decided to just PM me is better than just to explain it here !

Add-on

I just looked at your Timeline and you haven't had your Interview yet so you might not get anywhere calling the DO since you need either an extension or the first 4 Letters of the IO which is written on your Interview Congrats Letter. I can still give you the #, like I said PM me but I don't think it will be helpful to you unless you find someone that has their Interview done in Chicago and can give you their IO's last Name. But don't post it. PM them

Thank you Ladybuggy. I know that everyone has a different experience, especially if the area is different. I wish there were more uniformity in how all things immigration were handled.
I wish I knew others who live in my area and are or have gone through a similar experience. Although it makes no difference really, my curiosity is getting the better of me. I would love to know if my oath letter will have me going to Chicago for the oath or to Hammond Indiana. I guess I'll just have to wait like everyone else and count my blessings, because I know I'm much further ahead in this than so many others, and my experience up to this point has been right on target time wise. It's that curiosity that makes it so difficult. Thanks goodness I'm not a cat. :D

Thank you Ladybuggy. I know that everyone has a different experience, especially if the area is different. I wish there were more uniformity in how all things immigration were handled.
I wish I knew others who live in my area and are or have gone through a similar experience. Although it makes no difference really, my curiosity is getting the better of me. I would love to know if my oath letter will have me going to Chicago for the oath or to Hammond Indiana. I guess I'll just have to wait like everyone else and count my blessings, because I know I'm much further ahead in this than so many others, and my experience up to this point has been right on target time wise. It's that curiosity that makes it so difficult. Thanks goodness I'm not a cat. :D
Hello itismejose,

I had my interview beginning of November in Chicago. I got my oath letter already. I think the schedule for the oath ceremonies in Hammond,IN are once per month. You should receive your oath letter next month. Good Luck ! Usually they send the oath letter 2 weeks before the ceremony.

Sashko- I am in Chicago too, I got a congratulation letter last week. The laddy told me to wait for 2-6 weeks and mentioned that "It's more like 2 weeks". How long does it take you to get ur Oath letter after Interview? and when was the last sent out by IO? Please show the time line.

Anybody out there who can tell me how long it actualy takes?

Sashko- I am in Chicago too, I got a congratulation letter last week. The laddy told me to wait for 2-6 weeks and mentioned that "It's more like 2 weeks". How long does it take you to get ur Oath letter after Interview? and when was the last sent out by IO? Please show the time line.

Anybody out there who can tell me how long it actualy takes?
Namecheck,

Are you from Indiana area or Chicago area?

Thanks

I said it in my post that i am from Chicago. I just need to know the timeline regardless of ones district area. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello itismejose,

I had my interview beginning of November in Chicago. I got my oath letter already. I think the schedule for the oath ceremonies in Hammond,IN are once per month. You should receive your oath letter next month. Good Luck ! Usually they send the oath letter 2 weeks before the ceremony.

Thanks Sashko! Are you in NW Indiana? Is your oath ceremony going to be in Hammond? We're really hoping for Hammond, and don't mind the wait so much other than being nervous that the letter was lost in the mail. Yesterday was that magical eight week mark that the IO said we'd get that oath letter by, but alas, it hasn't yet arrived, so we'll continue to be patient.
I suppose that since you had your interview in the beginning of November in Chicago, as I didn't have mine until December, I'll go ahead and wait another month before really starting to panic.
Thanks again.

Thanks Sashko! Are you in NW Indiana? Is your oath ceremony going to be in Hammond? We're really hoping for Hammond, and don't mind the wait so much other than being nervous that the letter was lost in the mail. Yesterday was that magical eight week mark that the IO said we'd get that oath letter by, but alas, it hasn't yet arrived, so we'll continue to be patient.
I suppose that since you had your interview in the beginning of November in Chicago, as I didn't have mine until December, I'll go ahead and wait another month before really starting to panic.
Thanks again.
Hi itismejose,

Yes, you should wait.... Call the court and they will be able to tell you the exact date of the oath ceremony in March. I think is every third Friday beginning of every month. I have a friend that he passed the interview in December and he is still waiting for the oath. I am assuming you should receive the oath next month. According to the timeline I had interview in November and you in December, mine oath is in Feb. and yours will be on March. Good Luck. Keep update...

Oh Sashko, you really brightened my mood. After all, March is just around the corner!
I must ask...did you do anything or are you planning on doing anything to celebrate? Assuming I take the oath before July 4th, we're going to have a big citizenship party on the fourth of July. It just seems an appropriate date to have such a party! :D