NOC issues from Indian Embassy for J-1 physician

rajdoc

Hi,
I am on a J-1 visa doing my Pulmonary medicine fellowship but doing my Critical Care fellowship for 1 year some where else. I have to get the NOC from Indian Embassy but the embassy staff I spoke to are saying that I may not get it as i am changing the field. This is the first time I am hearing it. I have sent all the required documents. Has it been a problem like this to anyone lese here? And how should i go about it?

there is a new officer who is creating hassels- try to get to talk to him directly and explain to him how the two fellowships are usually done together-or are complimentary-remember worst comes to worst you can always get the NOC from Delhi
best of luck-

'Letter of Need'

I submitted my application 8 weeks ago, and I am still waiting. I need a 'letter of exceptional need' as I need to extend my J-1 visa for an 8th year....ECFMG has been very helpful and positive about it but the Indian embassy has been very disappointing - never give a straight answer.....'extremely busy' all the time, etc (and the guy also told me how Indian doctors are disingenious, who want to break the 'bond' and stay in the USA and forget their homeland, etc, etc). The Ministry in Delhi basically told me to get it from the embassy here (we dont deal with it anymore, except for the first letter/ bond)
......several of my friends/ colleagues applying for a usual statement of need are also facing harrassment by this guy - it takes 4-6 weeks (and several phone calls/ letters) - used to be a hassle-free process!!
....Welcome any tips/ ideas/ help. It has been very frustrating and stressful!
Thanx

If it's do-able, go to DC in person...............in FACT, even if u have to take some time off and spend some money, do it....after all, this simple piece of paper (rather lack of) can jeopardize all your hard work so far...

Last edited by a moderator: