Nobody knows about this?

windseeker

Registered Users (C)
Dear friends, I need you input.
My current EAD will expire on 12/23/03, but I never used it. My H1b will expire next summer. I want to apply for EAD next May since I don't want to extend H1 any more.

The first question is: this application is a renewal or a new application since there is several months gap between the expiration and application?

The second question is: if the answer for question 1 is a renewal, then the new EAD will start from the approve date or just meet my current EAD's expiration date?

I appreicate your information. Thank you very much.

Your first question : The first question is: this application is a renewal or a new application since there is several months gap between the expiration and application?

Answer : It will be a renewal. Actually you should apply for EAD renewal atleast 3 / 4 months before expiry. In your case it is expiring on 12/23/03, if you apply for renewal now, hopefully you should be getting by March 04.

Your second question : The second question is: if the answer for question 1 is a renewal, then the new EAD will start from the approve date or just meet my current EAD's expiration date?

Answer : Your next extended EAD will be affective from approval date. In your case you dont have to stop working till EAD is approved becase you have valid H1. Your approved EAD may very much come before your H1 expiry. so you can continously work.

Please cross check everything above. I am not an offical lawyer.
Above is only personnel opinion.

RD : Jul 2002.
ND : Jul 2002.
FP : Sep 2002.

Always apply and renew EAD and AP as a backup and though it costs some money. You never know when you going to need them, and when you are desperate you might not get it soon. Most of the cases will be screwed up and got delayed for various reasons.