NIW thourgh VA

cerruti2827

Registered Users (C)
is there a policiy that VA does not support permanent residence through Green Card?
My VA human resource told me so.

ALso, has anyone applied for PERM during first year of thier J1 waiver in a VA hospital?

What do you mean by VA?
It is to each institution's discretion whether to support employee's LPR or not.
I've heard some institutions do sponsor the faculty for EB1b or PERM; some companies hire law firms to petition PERM.
My old institution did the PERM for me, of course the clerk made a typo and my case was denied. My new institution now doesn't even do the PERM for the faculty. We are left alone to petition through EB1A or NIW.
It varies. If you HR tells you that they don't do it for you, that is it! you can't argue back; they decide what they do or don't do.
For the PERM with J1 thing, I don't know.

The VAs may have a policy of not supporting Green cards but it is fairly easy to get an EB1 or NIW petition approved for work at the VA as it is very easily justified as national interest and any work for wounded veterans will be very helpful in the EB1 application (though not explicitly stated)

A criminal statute, 18 USC § 205, prohibits a federal employee from making representations on behalf of another before or to a federal entity (except in relation to federal employment). Different agencies interpret this differently. Since people at the VA are federal employees, they may interpret this law as prohibiting them from writing recommendation letters on your behalf.
http://ethics.od.nih.gov/topics/visa-ltr.htm

VA= VA hospital

The HR lady has never dealt with it before.

She said that VA (not just ours) does not support green card applications through NIW.

She also said that law states that PERM cannot be filed until the end of first three years of J 1waiver obligations.

VA= VA hospital

The HR lady has never dealt with it before.

She said that VA (not just ours) does not support green card applications through NIW.

She also said that law states that PERM cannot be filed until the end of first three years of J 1waiver obligations.

Why do need a letter from VA for NIW? NIW is self petition and you do not need any employment letter.

If this VA has not done it before then it will be very difficult to convince them to do it for you.
if u want to file under OR u need letter from VA.
If u r a physician Dr, then u can file under Sch-A.
r u from the cursed countries (no offense, just a sarcastic jk)
For your information
http://www.h1b.biz/lawyer-attorney-1135837.html

Last edited by a moderator:
hm. was always wondering what is PERM?
The Program Electronic Review Management (PERM) scheme is used to gain Labor Certification, which is the first step toward securing an employment-based immigrant visa for such foreign nationals (Green Card).