NIW requires permanent position?

willowbrook

Registered Users (C)
I am a postdoc right now. Is this considered permanent position?
If not, in form I-140, I guess I will select No to permanent position. Does this disqualify my NIW? (I think NIW is not employment based, but heard someone saying being denied NIW because of non-permanent position.

Thank you!

last month my friend got his I-140 approved in 4 weeks, he filed NIW.
he is a post-doc, but 6 years experience, and 17 publications(not all first author).

his strength was that he is working in gene therapy, and his last 3 publications had very good citations(max 50). max impact factor was around 10.

so judge your application based on this practical example.

75% post doc position

willowbrook said:
If not, in form I-140, I guess I will select No to permanent position. Does this disqualify my NIW? (I think NIW is not employment based, but heard someone saying being denied NIW because of non-permanent position.

Thank you!

I am 75% post doc and was wondering whether I could apply for NIW. Please suggest.

gaur said:
I am 75% post doc and was wondering whether I could apply for NIW. Please suggest.

What does it mean to be 75% postdoc ? what about the rest, 25% martian ?
And to give recommendation you should explain your case in detail otherwise it is impossible

I'm a postdoc, too. And it's usually not considered as a permanent position. For example, my university's policy states clearly that they would not sponsor immigration for "non-permanent positions" such as postdocs. But I do know a friend of my wife's, who was a postdoc in a so-so university that didn't care and didn't have clear policy on this regard. So, that person was able to apply through EB-1b and claimed that she had a permanent position though she was actually a postdoc... So, guess it really depends.

willowbrook said:

Thank you!

Madison,

Did you do to a local interview? What were the questions that they asked? Do they care the position is a permanent one or not? Thanks a lot.

allaboutgc

Yeah, I did a local interview. Before I went there, I was really worried about this kind of question, too. Because my current position, based on which my NIW was filed, will be ending by 10/31 and I've already accepted another job offer that will begin on 11/1. Though the new job is definitely related to my NIW petition, I was nevertheless worried about potential problems. During the interview, the officer did ask for the employment letters. I gave him both the current one as well as the offer letter for my future job. He looked at them for only 5 seconds or so and then put them into my case folder. That's it. --So, I guess they don't really care about if your position is permanent of not; also, switching job with NIW isn't such a big thing. However, you do have to be really careful with what your new job is, because they do ask for that information and may thus catch you if you're way off.

Last edited by a moderator:
NIW 140 and 485 approved

It doesn't matter. i am a 100 % post doc and my NIW as well as 485 approved recently after RFE :)