NIW questions

NIW_chi

I want to apply for NIW. I am an analytical chemist (Ph.D.), working for a company who develops personalized cancer vaccine. I know my current job is definitely national interest. However, my Ph.D. work is not the exact same as I am doing right now, but something related (in terms of techniques and general area). I know I should emphasize national interest of my current job. However, all my publication are from my previous graduate work. I don't have any publication related to my current job. Is that a problem? How should I do? Also, for the recommendation letter from my previous professors, do they just evalute my previous accomplishment and its relation to natioal interest. If that's the case, how does the recommendation letter support the national interest foucused on my current job. I am so confused. Any comment will be appreciated!

NIW_chi said:
I want to apply for NIW. I am an analytical chemist (Ph.D.), working for a company who develops personalized cancer vaccine. I know my current job is definitely national interest. However, my Ph.D. work is not the exact same as I am doing right now, but something related (in terms of techniques and general area). I know I should emphasize national interest of my current job. However, all my publication are from my previous graduate work. I don't have any publication related to my current job. Is that a problem? How should I do? Also, for the recommendation letter from my previous professors, do they just evalute my previous accomplishment and its relation to natioal interest. If that's the case, how does the recommendation letter support the national interest foucused on my current job. I am so confused. Any comment will be appreciated!

We had this kind of discussion a while ago on this board. I think it is pretty tough to get NIW with working on different field than during your PhD since outside scientist can only evaluate based on your PhD accomplishments. I think there is no easy solution for that problems and if you have the chance I would definitly go for OR instead of NIW, especially you have a permanent position.
Another interesting discussion I had with a friend a short while ago is about NIW and chemists on cancer projects. A lot of cancer projects are of Nnational interest but that doesn't mean a synthetic chemists working on such a project has good chances applying for NIW. I don't know what your exact work in this project is but is your role critical and there is nobody in the analytical community who can do that job or do you have such a specialized education that you are that unique ? Which is unlikely since you don't work in the same field as for your PhD. Overall I think that chemist often have not so good chance for NIW compared for example to biologists since most chemist have a relative similar background knowledge. Just my two cents.

honkman said:
Overall I think that chemist often have not so good chance for NIW compared for example to biologists since most chemist have a relative similar background knowledge. Just my two cents.

I don't agree with this. By the time you get to the PhD level, specializations in chemistry branch off significantly. Don't belittle the role of the chemist. I have yet to see a biologist sit across the table from an FDA inspector and explain the CMC (chemical and manufacturing controls) section of an NDA (New Drug Application). Most biologists hand off a project early on and don't struggle for the next 5-7 years with having to develop yet another water insoluble drug with poor bioavailability.

BTW, I happen to be an analytical chemist and made working on the development of oncology drugs the centerpiece of my NIW petition. We are involved in all aspects of a project, from discovery to pharmaceutical development to manufacturing. Different job, different focus, same goal.

Brian

NIW_chi said:

Your letters of support much address *all* aspects of your career. Everything is significant, everything is important, and you are the best at it. You must make the link between your graduate studies and your current position.

NIW is like changing the transmission on your car...if you don't know what you are doing, hire a pro.

Brian

leroythelion said:
I don't agree with this. By the time you get to the PhD level, specializations in chemistry branch off significantly. Don't belittle the role of the chemist. I have yet to see a biologist sit across the table from an FDA inspector and explain the CMC (chemical and manufacturing controls) section of an NDA (New Drug Application). Most biologists hand off a project early on and don't struggle for the next 5-7 years with having to develop yet another water insoluble drug with poor bioavailability.

BTW, I happen to be an analytical chemist and made working on the development of oncology drugs the centerpiece of my NIW petition. We are involved in all aspects of a project, from discovery to pharmaceutical development to manufacturing. Different job, different focus, same goal.

Brian

I agree that by the time you get to the PhD level, specializations in chemistry branch off significantly but I don't see at least, as I said, for a synthetic chemist that he can play a role in a project which would justify NIW (even if he is working a lot off the bench an is more involved in the project managment). Being a synthetic chemists myself I know I can substitute every other synthetic chemists on any drug discovery program (industry or academia). That might be different for an analytical chemist.

Hello, How about my situation:

I did my Ph.D. in Medicinal Chemistry, working on an antibiotic project, have a few papers. Now on a NCI cancer project, no paper yet. The skill and approach are pretty much the same. How much weight should I put on both experience? Should I say I made contribution and impact on the old project and are making contribution on current one?
thank you so much!