NIW for MDs

PedsMD

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks
Was wondering if any one in the discussion Board have applied for NIW and if yes what is the process Is it better to go through Lab Cert or NIW for MDs working in MUA/HPSA (J-H) please throw light
Thanx

No Title

Hi,
I got GC last Nov on the basis of my-Self Petitioned I 140.. I applied for NIW during last year of residency , probably my publications helped , I am not sure. But my colleges are getting same by RIR in lesser time and without publications. I am not sure which is a shorter way or one can apply for both ways. But it is not hard to get GC for MD after finishing residency.

RSG

No Title

To RSG,
Could you please explain the self petitioned NIW, you mean without an employer ? Is it J1 to H1 as mentioned in the first message? Thank you.

No Title

Hi, am curious to know how the process of NIW worked for you and how long it actually took. For someone just completing 6 months of the J-1 waiver job on anH1B, is there a 5 yr requirement?DR

No Title

I think You could apply NIW by self petition or have your employer petition for you. I do not know it matters or not because mine is self petition and INS still wanted me to send a contract for an extended amount of years. The processing time of NIW seems to be shorter but you have to fulfill the 5 years commitment now before able to finalize adjusting your status to green card. It takes more preparation and time for Labor certification. It took about a year to get the certification from regional office for a friend of mine. it is matter of choice. I do not think one is better than the other.

No Title

Hi
YOu can apply either through employer or as self petition.
I have a NIW as self in 4 months.
Suri

NIW

Any in put about Stephen Jefferies Attorney at Law and his contact details?
Any suggestion regarding best Attorney for EB2/NIW?
I sincerely appreciate your input.
Thanks

NIW info

Hi,

It will be very much appreciated, if any one explains different steps and processing times involved in NIW process for a J-1 waiver physician. I have around 6 months time left on my 6 years H-1 limit.

Thanks

-mari

No Title

hi akmari get a letter from the agency through which u got ur j waiver (USDA State dept of health VA etc) and apply with form I-140 asap to INS if u worked in underserved area for total 3/5 years depending on when ur j was approved
hope this helps
Peds MD

NIW for MD

Hi,
My wife is completing her residency(MD - Int Medicine)
in June, and I would like to know of the procedure to
apply for NIW.

Any input appreciated.
Sudhakar
sudha3366@yahoo.com

Arif

Hi: This question might be very basic. I apologize. I wonder why one cant start green card processing in the 1st year of residency?

No Title

Because you must qualify for the prospective job at the time of application. However, if you qualify as a person of extraordinary abilities (EB-1 category) you can apply at any time; this type of processing does not require job offer.

?Does residency constitute a job

The fact that I had to be employed as a non-immigrant worker (H-1B) means I am in employment and the employers have already gone thru a process of recruitment and obviously could not find anybody in the US and hence I was employed (although I am also being trained in Post graduate medicine). Hence why cant the employer file for EB2 of EB3 based GC in the 1st year of residency itself? Is there a catch to this. Do the residency programs get bad reputation from the AMA for doing this? Is there a possibilty that they loose their reputation and possibly their accreditation if they continue to do this? I have heard of one program filing for GC with their residents in their 2nd year not sure whether this is true though?

would be grateful for the enlightenment

No Title

Yes, you hold a job right now, but it is temporary job and temporary visa. To apply for GC through the employment, the job must be permanent. You are unlikely to call residency a permanent job. AMA has nothing to do with it.

However, your residency program can start advertising campaign while you are still a resident. But the formal application for Labor Certification (or I-140 NIW) can only be made when you become qualified for the job, i.e. the day after graduation at earliest.

You may want to consult immigration attorney. $200-worth consultation will bring you a clear understanding of the process, and fee may be waived if you retain that attorney to process your case.

Interesting piece of information - thank you

Hi yooper that answer has gone further in my understanding of these processes. It has put things in perspective and I am grateful for the info. As you say a immigration attorney is the first port of call after I arrive in the US to start residency on the 1st of july 2002. I am presently in the UK.

Thanks very much

Shall post further questions

arif

H1 revalidation

MY passport is valid for exactly 6 more months and I have to send for H1 revalidation. Can we renew passport 6 months ahead? any input please.