niw case

ruthcai321

Registered Users (C)
Hi, can anybody give me any idea about my NIW case? Any input is welcome!

Both PHD in ME and master in EE from a just so so state university.
worked in a big nuclear power company for five years with the job title nuclear safety analysis.
9 letter (1 from state government agency, 1 from national lab, 1 from dean of a good university, 1 from a ressearch institute, two from my supervisor and manager, others from industry). I don't work with these people except my superviser and manager.
3 journal papers and several conference papers.
a lot of nuclear training licence. PE certificate.
company's annual evaluation : most valuable employee.
two company award
one project I worked help company save $30,0000.

ruthcai321,

The publications, citations, etc., are good, however the most important requirements are:

1) The foreign national’s work is in an area of substantial intrinsic merit;
2) The proposed benefit of the foreign national’s work is national in scope; and
3) The foreign national will serve the national interest to a substantially greater degree than would an available U.S. worker having the same minimum qualifications.

It seems USCIS does not care how much money you saved for your company.

It seems you have a good qualification. You may need to find a good lawyer who will make nice presentation of your qualification and who will prove these three prongs wery well.

I have a question regarding the third prong. What are the minimum qulifications? In my case, I am a postdoc working in a university. So is the minimum qulification a Ph.D degree? Thanks.

Oberton said:
ruthcai321,

The publications, citations, etc., are good, however the most important requirements are:

1) The foreign national’s work is in an area of substantial intrinsic merit;
2) The proposed benefit of the foreign national’s work is national in scope; and
3) The foreign national will serve the national interest to a substantially greater degree than would an available U.S. worker having the same minimum qualifications.

It seems USCIS does not care how much money you saved for your company.

It seems you have a good qualification. You may need to find a good lawyer who will make nice presentation of your qualification and who will prove these three prongs wery well.

kaixin said:
I have a question regarding the third prong. What are the minimum qulifications? In my case, I am a postdoc working in a university. So is the minimum qulification a Ph.D degree? Thanks.

As long as you can prove how important your work field/ contributions are, as far as I know, you dont have to have a PhD degree.