Next Steps after I797A and re-entry steps to US from India

An1801

Hi Rajiv,

Good day!

I have a few questions regarding my immigration status. I previously worked on F1 STEM-OPT and was laid off in May 2023. However, I was on long-term disability leave until February 2024, as my EAD expired on February 19. Due to health issues, appointments, and travel restrictions during the first six months after my surgery, I applied for a B2 visa, which was approved until October 2024. I received my I-797A notice in April.

My questions are:

1. What are the next steps after this approval in the US? Do I need to undergo biometrics or any other procedures?

2. I plan to visit India next month after five years. If I need to return to the US, do I need to repeat the entire process, including biometrics and a visa appointment? Or can I book an appointment and submit the approval notice in person?

Thank you for your guidance!

I have a few questions regarding my immigration status. I previously worked on F1 STEM-OPT and was laid off in May 2023. However, I was on long-term disability leave until February 2024, as my EAD expired on February 19. Due to health issues, appointments, and travel restrictions during the first six months after my surgery, I applied for a B2 visa, which was approved until October 2024. I received my I-797A notice in April.

My questions are:

1. What are the next steps after this approval in the US? Do I need to undergo biometrics or any other procedures?
I-797A means the approval of an Extension of Stay or Change of Status application. So you must have filed I-539 for Change of Status to B2 status. You did not apply for a "visa" -- that is something you can only apply for at a US consulate abroad. Your I-797A comes with a new I-94, in the category B2, valid until October 2024. You do not need to do anything further.
2. I plan to visit India next month after five years. If I need to return to the US, do I need to repeat the entire process, including biometrics and a visa appointment? Or can I book an appointment and submit the approval notice in person?
Well, what status are you seeking to enter into? F1? B2? or something else? You will need a valid visa of the same type as the status you seek to enter into. Do you have such a visa? If not, you will need to get such a visa at a US consulate abroad. What status you had on your last stay and whether you extended or changed your status on your last stay are not directly relevant to your next entry (except to show that you did not overstay).

Thank you for the clarification!

But a quick question - If get a job here in the US anytime in the future, will coming back be an issue?