Newly Married: maiden name or married name on I-485??

aussie81

Registered Users (C)
I am in the process of filling out the forms to apply for LPR on the basis of marriage to a US citizen. My husband and I have to file an I-130, I-485, G-325, I-864, I-693 and an I-131. As we were only married in early October (on the 1st) I haven't changed my name on any of my Australian documents yet (I have to be in Australia to change most of them) and I don't have any forms of US id. So should I use my maiden name on these forms or my new married name and use our marriage certificate as proof of the name change?
This process so far has been very confusing and any help would be appreciated :)

I hope somebody could answer this from experience. My situation is similar except the wife has US IDs. So she changed it with Marriage certificate.
I can only tell what I would do. It will create a bit of the hassle for the future(changing the name on GC), but at least it is a sure thing. Stick with your maiden name for now. You can always change it later. Besides being 24 and from Australia - there will be plenty of guys to choose from :) Just kidding about the last part.

Someone from another forum said that they filed using their married name and had no problems as she was filing 130 and 485 concurrently, as the USCIS offices should be used to dealing with name changes on AOS based on marriage. I figured I'd share this with you as you said your wife was in the same position, as she has US id with in her married name it should be fine.
Fingers crossed though, it seems you can never really be sure!