Newark interview done - but problem with 2nd A file

coolcatiger

Registered Users (C)
I had interview on 5/16 at Newark, instead of 13th floor where there were 100's of people for naturalization, mine was on 14th floor with 3/4 other people waiting before me. That sounded odd for me and infact it was.

The officer was nice , he asked usual questions, history Qn's etc and asked me to sign all papers and said you passed the test but you can't have oath as they don't have my 2nd A# file

He gave me a letter mentioning - The descision can't be made and 2nd A# XXXXXXXX next to it, which is different from my GC A#

When I asked him where this 2nd A# came from ? He said Under my SSN he sees 2 A#'s and he doesn't have 2nd one (the 1st is my GC A#). He is going to request it and then will send letter for oath.

Did any one go through the similar situation ? How long will I have to wait till I get oath letter ?

I am confused about my 2nd A# file, and don't understand how come 2nd A# file appeared under my SSN.

I am thinking -- could it be

1. I had a GC processing from NY , then the 2nd GC was applied from VT, which came faster than NY and I got GC from VT. In mean time NY approved my labor, which my employer used for another employee.

2. I filed 485 and then cancelled it to do consular processing.

I am wondering which one created 2nd A file, or it is totally different...confused

My 1st A# starts with 46-XXXXX which was done in 1999
the 2nd A# starts with 75-XXXXXX

It seems these numbers are serial . I checked A# of few other people and the time when they received GC and it looks like they increases in order with time.

So this 2nd A# looks like it is issued sometime in 2003, which adds more confusion....

My timeline
-------------------------------
Send the application 9/27/2004
RD 9/28/2004
PD 9/28/2004
Received receipt 10/9/2004
Received intervew letter 03/01/2004
Interview date 05/16/2004

Last edited by a moderator:
Other A-file

I had a similar experience. As long as your name check ,and other checks are complete, 2nd A-file is basically a delay issue. Please read my experience at:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=171247&highlight=sg_orl

Search under other A-file or duplicate A-file to get a few more hits on the subject.

Did the officer give any time frame? From what I learned it takes about 30 days for the DO to get the other A-file, then an officer reviews both the files and merge them. If everything is ok at that stage, then you get in the oath queue. You should send a letter to the officer after 3-4 weeks to remind him. After that, you may want to visit the DO to make sure that your case doesn't get forgotten. Just be perisistent, it's probably, 2-3 months of additional wait...

Good luck!

sg_orl said:
I had a similar experience. As long as your name check ,and other checks are complete, 2nd A-file is basically a delay issue. Please read my experience at:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=171247&highlight=sg_orl

Search under other A-file or duplicate A-file to get a few more hits on the subject.

Did the officer give any time frame? From what I learned it takes about 30 days for the DO to get the other A-file, then an officer reviews both the files and merge them. If everything is ok at that stage, then you get in the oath queue. You should send a letter to the officer after 3-4 weeks to remind him. After that, you may want to visit the DO to make sure that your case doesn't get forgotten. Just be perisistent, it's probably, 2-3 months of additional wait...

Good luck!

Thanks, do you know how and why your 2nd A# file was created ? did you have two GC processes ?

I only had one GC application and that too with only one employer. I asked the officer how is this possible. She basically said that someone at USCIS got sloppy with the paperwork handling and created two different A#'s and files to file my papers in two files. She said it does happen from time to time.

My suggestion to you is to keep following up and be persistent thru letters and the visits to the DO so that they do act on it. Some times if you don't follow up, even after they get your 2nd A-file, it can sit in two different places in their office. By follow up you want to make sure both of them reach the officer's desk, and then s/he merges both the files, make the decision, have the supervisior sign off, then get it to the people who schedule the oath ceremonies. Overall, I think it adds at least about 2-3 months to the whole process.

Multiple A#s

If I know that I might have multiple A#s is there a way to shorten the delay in processing the N-400 application

thanks
sraj

sraj55 said:
If I know that I might have multiple A#s is there a way to shorten the delay in processing the N-400 application

thanks
sraj

If you know all your A#'s you can mention that in additional sheet and attach to application.

It depends on the local DO as to how efficient they really are. They could request to receive all the A-files before they schedule you for an interview. So there may a delay in getting and interview! Even in that case, there is no guarantee that they will actually receive all the A-files. Some time an A-file(s) can get lost or missing too. If that happens, then the DO has to make 2 or 3 requests to the NRC to locate and send them the A-files. After that they can conclude that the A-file(s) are lost, and supervisor and the local DO's director has to sign off on those cases.

If for whatever reason, you encounter a duplicate or multiple A-file(s) situation, pray that they can find it, and close the case in a timely manner. I would guess that a lost A-file situation takes longer to resolve. Don't hesitate to get your Congressman and Senator involved. When the local DO receives an inquiry from them, they have an additional incentive to complete the work on your case, and get them off their back.

sg_orl said:
If for whatever reason, you encounter a duplicate or multiple A-file(s) situation, pray that they can find it, and close the case in a timely manner. I would guess that a lost A-file situation takes longer to resolve. Don't hesitate to get your Congressman and Senator involved. When the local DO receives an inquiry from them, they have an additional incentive to complete the work on your case, and get them off their back.

What is the efficient way (letter, phone or personal visit) to contact senator or congressman ? If you have sample letter you send to them, could you please share with us ? Or you can send me personal message.

Search for your state's senators. There are only two for each state, but they are quite busy. Google for your local congressman and visit his/her website. Look under constituent service section and they have form on the website. Download it and fill it in. You will have to fax that form giving them the authorization to inquire on your behalf with a federal agency. Before faxing call their local office and get the name of the case worker for immigration issues. Talk with the case worker and then go from there.

Regarding 2nd file.

Yes, i suffer in the same way. i went there for interview and had same problem. but i wait 2 years after that i contact my senator office and they found my 2nd file " i came here in 1984 and surrender the greencard, that time us government lost my passport and from there this 2nd file thing was started".

you should contact your sentor office. they will help you in this. they will find your file and submit to officer regarding this. i wait 3 years to be citizen and finally i did that with help of the senator of my county.

Thank You :)

I had my oath y'day 7/14. Submitted appt letter, signed the certificate and then oath, out in 2 hours

Good luck to all
----------
My timeline
RD 9/28/2004
PD 9/28/2004
Oath 7/14/2005

coolcatiger said:
I had my oath y'day 7/14. Submitted appt letter, signed the certificate and then oath, out in 2 hours

Good luck to all
----------
My timeline
RD 9/28/2004
PD 9/28/2004
Oath 7/14/2005

CONGRATULATIONS!!

sv2707 said:
Did you receive a letter scheduling your oath?

Yes

My timeline
RD 9/28/2004
PD 9/28/2004
Oath Letter Received 6/20/2005
Oath 7/14/2005

Duplicate A-File

sg_orl said:
I only had one GC application and that too with only one employer. I asked the officer how is this possible. She basically said that someone at USCIS got sloppy with the paperwork handling and created two different A#'s and files to file my papers in two files. She said it does happen from time to time.

My suggestion to you is to keep following up and be persistent thru letters and the visits to the DO so that they do act on it. Some times if you don't follow up, even after they get your 2nd A-file, it can sit in two different places in their office. By follow up you want to make sure both of them reach the officer's desk, and then s/he merges both the files, make the decision, have the supervisior sign off, then get it to the people who schedule the oath ceremonies. Overall, I think it adds at least about 2-3 months to the whole process.

Hello Everyone

I completed my citizenship interview on 14th November and was interviewed by a young officer who said that he was recommending a granting, but some how I have two files (Green Card) under my name so he has check and remove other file first before give me oath date. He gave me the interview result - n-652 saying I have completed all tests and USCIS will send a written decision. Many people had their oath on the same day, but mine I don't know what is happening.

What does this mean?
When can I expect to see something?

It looks like everything is in order, every paper was in order. No complications, not even a driving record. The young officer indicated that he's not able to approve, until Decision on two files. I even saw him circle granted in the sheet that he was marking on and he also indicated that he was recommending approval. Is there anything else I can do?

It looks like everything is in order, but still no decision.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Still Waiting....

Hi

As you know I have same duplicate A-files case. I am still waiting for any reply from INS.
Do you know how it take time to get Oath date after interview? what if i want check my 2nd A-file status?

Appreciate for reply.

Thanks

Bad Info-Pass Experience

Hi
Yesterday I have bad experience with immigration officer.
I have Info-Pass Appointment. When I went there, officer just took my Info-Pass letter, GC and last letter from INS which I have N-652 result of interview. As officer see that I have problem with Dual A-files, she even not see any information in computer and just told me to wait for letter from INS. I request her couple of times but she was very rude and she even not checks anything and told me “Have nice Day”.

I don’t know what I will do? Should I try again for Info-Pass or wait for letter from INS.

Thanks