New theory about N-400 name check delays

ap74mo

Registered Users (C)
A few months ago, different DO's had different processing dates per USCIS website. Now most DO's show almost similar dates - around June 15, 2006. To me that seems that earlier the critical path of the N-400 timeline was service centers and DO's (hence different dates). Now, the critical path is FBI name check; hence similar timelines at DO's.

If you do not clear initial namechecks in 4-6 weeks after FP, you can expect your case to be processed per timelines posted on USIS websites as that represents FBI name check backlog.

Please comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
The theory may not hold as my DO shows June 15 as the processing date for N-400 and my PD is August 2 and all I need to do is the Oath in 6 days.

I guess I may be lucky as I am from a country that does not have many people applying for N-400 and my name is quite unique compared to the majority of applicants (thanks, Mom and Dad).

Precisely! In my view, the fact that you are completing your citizenship processing around 5 months or so tells me you were not stuck in name check. My point is that if you are stuck in name check (i.e. if you do not receive your IL within 6 weeks of your FP), then you can expect your case to take at least until the dates indicated by USCIS website.

I am still not sure the hypothesis is sound. USCIS changed the way they report processing time to show what their expectation is for that kind of case. They changed this a few months back. www.immigration-law.com had a good explanation of the change. I don't think it has anything to do with name check. I think it has a lot to do with getting some people off their backs as your case is still in time as long as it takes 7 months or less in most offices.

PS: The date and headline of the explanation of the processing date reporting in www.immigration-law.com is 08/28/2006: USCIS Processing Time Report Changes. Here is a link to the frame:
http://www.immigration-law.com/Archive XIV.html

My 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can attribute any reason for your good fortune and it would not matter now:) Annecdotal evidence so far has shown that the name check can snare any one regardless of origin, nationality or rarity of name. Lots of Britts with common name have been stuck and also people with uncommon names or non Arabic names. Some one explained on this forum how the name check algorithm works, and even the ombudsman thought it was a waste of time and did not increase security. Any one can get caught up in this!

CroATM said:
I guess I may be lucky as I am from a country that does not have many people applying for N-400 and my name is quite unique compared to the majority of applicants (thanks, Mom and Dad).